Rick Clark, sheriff of Pickens County, South Carolina, snubbed the order given by Barack Obama to fly flags at government buildings at half staff to commemorate the passing of 95-year-old Saouth African leader nelson Mandela, BizPac Review reported Saturday.
The reason Clark gave on Facebook is that Mandela was not an American.
"I usually don’t post political items, but today is different. I received this notification today, 'As a mark of respect for the memory of Nelson Mandela, the President orders that the flag of the United States be flown at half-staff effective immediately until sunset, December 9, 2013,'″ he wrote on Facebook.
"Nelson Mandela did great things for his country and was a brave man but he was not an AMERICAN!!! The flag should be lowered at our Embassy in S. Africa, but not here. Our flag is at half staff today for a Deputy in the low country who died going to help his fellow Deputy. He deserves the honor. I have ordered that the flag here at my office back up after tomorrow’s mourning of Pearl Harbor Day," he added.
Obama issued the rare order on Thursday, even though he refused to give the same order when former British Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher died.
“In fact, the last foreign dignitary to be memorialized with the flag was Pope John Paul II in 2005,” NPR said.
Predictably, liberals used the story as an excuse to toss out the race card.
"Many," the Los Angeles Times said, "are saying it plays right into stereotypes about the racist South."
Many others, however, applauded Clark for his action.
The Times said that neither Clark nor anyone else at the sheriff's department would be available to comment on the matter, adding that Sheriff Clark would be back in the office Monday.
- Race card played on SC sheriff who refused to lower flag to honor Mandela
- Bill O'Reilly: Nelson Mandela was a 'great man' and a Communist
- White House marks death of Nelson Mandela with picture of Obama
- Communist Party USA backs Obama gun grab, calls Second Amendment obsolete
- 'Heart' Communism? Move to Cuba
- Communist Party leaders at convention: Socialism an 'imperative' for America
- Communist Party USA openly supports Democrats
- Communist Party USA chair endorses Obama's jobs plan, tax hikes
- Communist Party USA celebrates Obama's re-election
For hard-hitting conservative commentary, please visit Joe's blog, the Conservative Firing Line. You can also find Joe's articles at Right News Now, Tea Party Tribune, Newsbusters, Liberty Unyielding and PolitiCollision.