A Russian toddler is recovering after he managed to swallow dozens of magnets that eventually had to be surgically removed at a local hospital, according to a Feb 15, 2013 report from Huffington Post.
The 16-month old toddler was taken to Chelyabinsk Oblast Children's Hospital where head pediatric surgeon, deputy chief Nikolay Rostovtsev removed the pieces from the child’s abdomen.
“Over the years in pediatric surgery I had to take out of the stomach and esophagus of young patients many a variety of foreign bodies and magnets,” says Nikolai Mikhailovich. “Once there were as many as two dozen. But the current patient has blocked all previous "records." The 16-month old boy's stomach was literally packed with small magnets from toys. During the operation, we counted them 42 pieces.”
The boy’s mother noticed a shortage of magnets on the refrigerator and took the boy to the doctor where they performed an ultrasound. Once doctors realized he swallowed the magnets, they rushed the boy to Chelyabinsk Oblast Children's Hospital where he underwent emergency surgery.
According to hospital spokesperson, Olga Terekhina:
Surgeons at CHODKB repeatedly appealed to parents to more closely monitor children carefully examine toys with which they play.
If you are really interested in keeping up to date on the best in strange news, Ripley’s Believe it or Not!and Guinness World Records, click the nifty subscribe button on the top of the story to receive email updates hot off the press. You may also find me on Twitter @oddnewsbybrian and on Facebook at Weird and Odd News. For more strange news and viral videos, check out Outlandish News.