Last week, developers and industry insiders leaked supposed Xbox 720 ("Durango") and Playstation 4 ("Orbis") hardware specifications for the world to see. Today, we get a more comprehensive list of what we could expect from the next Xbox stemming from the same origin as the original leaks. Although much the same, this time around we have a better understanding and more detailed description of what is to come.
The hardware specification's list the following:
- 8 CPU cores running at 1.6 gigahertz (GHz)
- Each CPU thread has its own 32 KB L1 instruction cache and 32 KB L1 data cache
- Each module of four CPU cores has a 2 MB L2 cache resulting in a total of 4 MB of L2 cache
- Each core has one fully independent hardware thread with no shared execution resources
- Each hardware thread can issue two instructions per clock
- Custom D3D11.1 class 800-MHz graphics processor
- 12 shader cores providing a total of 768 threads
- Each thread can perform one scalar multiplication and addition operation (MADD) per clock cycle
- At peak performance, the GPU can effectively issue 1.2 trillion floating-point operations per second
- High-fidelity Natural User Interface (NUI) sensor is always present
Storage and Memory:
- 8 gigabyte (GB) of RAM DDR3 (68 GB/s)
- 32 MB of fast embedded SRAM (ESRAM) (102 GB/s)
- From the GPU’s perspective the bandwidths of system memory and ESRAM are parallel providing combined peak bandwidth of 170 GB/sec.
- Hard drive is always present
- 50 GB 6x Blu-ray Disc drive
- Gigabit Ethernet
- Wi-Fi and Wi-Fi Direct
- Move engines
- Image, video, and audio codecs
- Kinect multichannel echo cancellation (MEC) hardware
- Cryptography engines for encryption and decryption, and hashing
More leaks have been teased for later this week in regards to Sony's next console, so stay tuned for additional information! In the mean time, be sure to check some previous articles in order to be up to date on all of the latest next-generation consoles!
How does everyone feel about these rumors and leaks? Enjoying them? Let me know by subscribing to me here and following me on twitter @NicholasGigante.