Boulder-based Rudi’s Organic Bakery, in partnership with Annie’s, Applegate, HONEST Kids and Organic Valley, is taking a stand against lunchbox junk. The companies fielded a survey to help parents pack a better lunch. Some of the key findings include:
- 72 percent of kids say it’s “cool” to have healthy food in their lunchboxes
- 64 percent of kids say they regularly trade items from their lunch with friends
- 61 percent of kids prefer bringing lunch from home versus buying lunch at school
For all the parents struggling trying to rid the lunchbox of boringness back-to-school this fall, there’s more than 300 snack and lunch ideas to help moms and dads pack “cooler” lunches at RockTheLunchbox.com. Check out the website for great ideas, to submit your own ideas and photos, learn tops from the pros, or to watch videos.
Try these easy recipes using Rudi’s Organic Bakery items.
Rudi’s Organic Bakery Pretzel Rolls with Rainbow Slaw and BBQ Chicken
Developed by: Frances Largeman-Roth, RDN
- 1 small head red cabbage (about 1 pound), shredded
- 1 ¼ c. carrots, shredded
- 1 red or yellow bell pepper, sliced thinly into strips and cut crosswise into 2-inch pieces
- 1 cup fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons whole-grain Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 3 tablespoons fresh orange juice
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 6 c. cooked, cooled chicken, skin removed and shredded
- 1½ c. organic barbecue sauce, such as Bella’s
- 12 Rudi’s Organic Bakery Pretzel Rolls, halved lengthwise
- Toss the cabbage, carrots, bell pepper, and cilantro together in a large bowl.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the vinegar, oil, mustard, honey, orange juice, salt, and pepper. Drizzle the vinaigrette over the vegetables and toss to combine. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Combine the shredded chicken and BBQ sauce in a large bowl and combine thoroughly until the chicken is completely coated with sauce. Set aside.
- Lightly toast the pretzel rolls. Evenly cover the bottom halves of each roll with ½ cup of the chicken mixture, and then top with ½ cup of the slaw. Cut in half and serve.
Tuna Salad Wrap with Rudi's Organic 7 Grain with Flax
- 1 Rudi’s Organic 7 grain with flax wrap
- 1 can tuna
- 1 tbsp mayo
- 1 tbsp mustard
- 1 celery stalk, diced
- 1 carrot, diced
- ¼ c. red cabbage, diced
- Romaine lettuce, chopped
- Dill to taste
In a bowl, mix together tuna, mayo, mustard, celery, carrots, cabbage, and dill. Once thoroughly mixed, place romaine in the center of the Rudi’s Organic tortilla and place the bowl of tuna on top. Fold each corner to make it a delicious wrap!
Sonoma Chicken Salad Sandwich
- 2 slices Rudi’s Organic Harvest Seeded bread
- 5 strips Applegate Natural Grilled Chicken Breast
- ½ c. mayonnaise
- 1 tsp poppy seeds
- ¼ c. organic red grapes, halved
- 4 slices organic cucumber
- ¼ organic avocado, sliced
- 3 leaves organic lettuce
- ¼ c. organic cabbage, chopped
- Remove chicken strips from packaging and cut into small cubes.
- In a bowl, combine mayonnaise, poppy seeds, grapes, and cubed chicken. Stir until well combined.
- Cover the first slice of bread with already made chicken salad. Top with lettuce, sliced avocado, cabbage, and sliced cucumber.
- Complete sandwich with the second slice of bread and enjoy!
Boulder-based Rudi's Organic Bakery goods can be found all over the Denver-metro locations.