Less than 72 hours after filing to run in the upcoming special election, this morning Bobbie Rose withdrew.
The 2012 Democratic candidate for South Carolina’s 1st Congressional District formally stepped away from this year’s contest to fill that same seat after incumbent Tim Scott was appointed last month to replace resigning senator Jim DeMint.
Rose told the state Democratic Party of her intentions this morning before the 12 p.m. deadline, and will thus receive reimbursement of her $2,800 filing fee. She had submitted her filing papers just last Friday.
A primary factor in her decision, Rose says, was “an obligation to respond to opportunities in the private sector as well as the political field.
“I have been campaigning almost constantly since February 2012. While I don't regret one minute of that campaign,” she says, “I feel I should now spend my time working to improve our district, our state and our country in other ways.”
Rose is yet to endorse any of the other Democratic candidates, but intends to soon.
“I will be speaking with the other candidates in our party and will offer my support to the candidate with the values, beliefs and commitment to the people that are most closely aligned with my own and those of my supporters.”
She also encourages voters to partake in the upcoming special election series. “Let’s all participate in the process and work hard to elect a voice of reason to speak for us in Washington.”
Three other Democratic candidates – Elizabeth Colbert Bush, Ben Frasier and Martin Skelly – will appear on the Mar. 19 primary ballots.