“Anchorman 2: The Legend Continues” is available on three-disc Blu-ray combo pack starting on April 1, and the set from Paramount packs enough of the News Team to fill a 24-hour news channel, or come mighty close.
Things get off to a bang with three versions of the movie: the theatrical cut, an extended, unrated cut and a “Super-Sized R-Rated Version” that promises 763 new jokes* (*subject to the viewer’s sense of humor). As a point of interest, a release from Paramount notes that in the history of entertainment the replacement of 763 jokes is unprecedented. Or, put another way, the R-Rated version is basically an entirely different picture of what “Anchorman 2” could have ended up looking like in theaters.
In addition to the three cuts of the film, the set boasts more than four hours of bonus content. The full special features specs are included below, but among the highlights are: Commentary by Adam McKay, Judd Apatow, Will Ferrell, Steve Carell, Paul Rudd and David Koechner; five behind-the-scenes featurettes, table reads, cast auditions, gag reels and more than 90 minutes of deleted, extended and alternate scenes.
What’s in the Box:
Blu-ray Disc 1-
- Feature film in high definition (Unrated Version) with commentary by Adam McKay, Judd Apatow, Will Ferrell, Steve Carell, Paul Rudd and David Koechner
- Feature film in high definition (Theatrical Version)
- Behind-the-Scenes: Newsroom––Inside the making of the film
- Gag Reel, Parts 1 & 2
- Line-O-Rama, Parts 1 & 2––Non-stop alternate lines from the film
- Welcome to the Dolphin Show––Ron Burgundy takes on the crowd
- Catfight––Christina Applegate vs. Meagan Good with hilarious one-liners
- News-O-Rama––Ron and the News Team bring you the headlines
- Kench-O-Rama––Mashup of Kench Allenby’s most Australian moments
- Cast Table Read
Blu-ray Disc 2-
- Feature film in high definition (Super-Sized R-Rated Version)
- Anchorman 2: The Musical––A look at the musical sequel that almost was
- RV––Dissecting the RV tumble
- Baxter & Doby––The lovable animals of “Anchorman 2”
- News Fight––Inside the biggest, baddest all-star celebrity brawl
- Deleted Scenes
- Extended & Alternate Scenes
- Previsualizations––RV, Shark Attack and News Fight sequences
- Auditions––Featuring Meagan Good, Dylan Baker and Amy Poehler
- Benefit for 826LA: “Spoiler Alert”––A special tribute to “Anchorman 2”
- Feature film in standard definition (Theatrical Version)
Digital Download Code
This set, like “The Rich Mahogany Edition” of the original that came before it, this Blu-ray set is loaded with features to keep the News Team’s biggest fans laughing for hours. The Super-Sized R-Rated Version is just that, but is worth the extra time investment for the jokes that go there and then some, in fact, it brings more laughs than the theatrical cut. Likewise, features like the “Line-O-Rama” are perfect for those that want to hear an endless stream of “Anchorman”-isms. The behind-the-scenes look at the News Fight sequence is a must as it packs great insight to what may be the most cameo-filled few minutes ever recorded.
This Blu-ray set is available in stores and online for $39.99.