Intro: Looking for ideas to make a romantic Valentine's dinner? An oven roast recipe makes an excellent choice for V-Day dinner. This tutorial teaches you how to make a roast plus what to make with a roast. It also directs you to some prime rib roast recipes as well.
Making Roast for Valentine's Day Dinner
You know, an oven roast beef recipe is actually one of the simplest things to make and yet, many people are kind of intimidated by the thought of it.
However, this chuck roast recipe is a breeze. You make it in the Dutch oven and roast it for several hours. It has bacon to flavor it plus a slew of vegetables to eat with it. I've also included suggestions for other sides, appetizers and desserts that you can include with to make your romantic Valentine's Day dinner complete.
How to Make A Roast - Ingredients:
- 1/2 lb slab bacon, sliced (remove rind)
- 4 lb tied beef chuck roast
- salt and pepper
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 chopped large yellow onion
- 3 minced garlic cloves
- 3 Tbsp chopped rosemary leaf
- 1 c. dry red wine (Cabernet works well)
- 1/2 c. water
- 18-oz can diced tomatoes (leave the juice in)
What to Make With a Roast - Ingredients:
- 1 lb of small white potatoes
- 3 celery stalks, cut into 2-inch pieces
- A bunch of carrots, also cut into 2-inch pieces
- 2 c. trimmed & peeled pearl onions
How to Cook A Roast Beef Recipe
- Cook bacon pieces in large Dutch oven on medium-high. Stir on occasion until you get the fat in the bottom of the pan and the bacon turns crisp.
- Drain the bacon onto paper towels to drain. Using a slotted spoon makes this easier. Leave the bacon grease in pan.
- Pat the chuck roast dry.
- Season the roast with salt and pepper or for a bit more variety, garlic salt and pepper.
- Put the roast into the pot with the bacon fat in it.
- Turn the heat up to high and turn the roast until the outsides turn brown. Use tongs to avoid burning your fingers.
- Take the beef from the pot and pour the fat into a bowl.
- Turn the heat down to medium. Add the butter and the yellow onion to the beef roast pan.
- Add the garlic cloves and the rosemary leaf to the pan. Stir together.
- Pour the wine and water into the pot.
- Stir again. Make sure to scrape the bottom so that the brown bits at the bottom of the Dutch oven get mixed into the liquid. It'll add flavor to your Valentine's dinner recipe.
- Add in the tomatoes, including the juice.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Add beef back into the pot. Add the juices that have run off the cooked roast beef as well.
- Raise heat back up to high and when it starts to simmer, cover the pot. Then put the oven roast beef recipe into a 325 degree oven.
- Let roast for 3 hours.
- Add the white potatoes, celery stalks, carrots and the pearl onions to the Dutch oven. Pour in the bacon at this time as well.
- Cover the oven roast beef recipe and put back into the oven. Cook the simple roast beef recipe for another hour until everything becomes tender.
- The video at the top of the screen goes over this, too if you need a visual reference.
Making Roast - Serving Ideas
- Take the lid off the easy roast beef recipe once you take it from the oven. Let it sit for 15 minutes.
- Slice it against the grain. Do thin slices.
What to Serve With the Roast
Knowing what to make with a roast is just as important as knowing how to make a roast in my opinion. I suggest that you serve it with the cooked veggies and the braising liquid. However, you can also make breads, appetizers and desserts to go with it. Here are a few suggestions for these items: