Get your free PDF download of the scripted role-play called “The Star.” Just scroll down near the end of this article for the free download link.
This is one of several Hero’s Journey role-plays appropriate for middle school students that teaches anti-bullying and Joseph Campbell’s Hero’s Journey process.
What is the role-play about? You can watch the slideshow to find out. You can also read the description below.
Hero’s Journey role-play description: Here is a story scenario you can use to help teach about the importance of the Character Education traits of Self Control, Valuing & Respecting Self, Valuing & Respecting Others, and Tolerance & Allowing. In the set of follow-up discussion questions, your students will also learn key features of Joseph Campbell’s hero’s journey process.
This is the seventh and last story of seven about a boy named Jack. Please note that this is the conclusion of the story about the Jack you read about in the stories called ‘The ball’, ‘The dance’, ‘The heart’, and ‘The feeling’. This story is called ‘The star’. It was written by Clinical Social Worker, Terry Gardner.
Jack was now in eighth grade. He had come a long way since the uncertainties, fears, and many questions he had during his sixth- and seventh-grade years. Jack was very popular with most of the students and teachers. He did very well with school work and was one of the school’s outstanding athletes. But had all that success gone to his head? Let’s see what Jack did with all of his success and personal growth.
Please note: As a clinical social worker, Mr. Terry Gardner kindly created these stories for Debbie Dunn’s Communication Skills class at CMS back in 2001.This Terry Gardner Jack Tale is shared in his memory and with permission of his widow, Lin Gardner.
Note to the teacher: In addition to the role-play, you can also read it in story form. You might want to read the story to the class first and then have the class act out the role-play. Here’s the link:
- Story link: The Star
Teacher Says or Asks: We will now act out the role-play based on the last story you just heard called “The Star.”
The role-play features six guy actors: Jack, Bart, Coach Brown, Timmy, Marcus, and Nick.
The role-play also features one girl actor: Ashley.
Jack, Coach Brown, Nick, and Ashely have the medium-size to big parts. Bart, Timmy, and Marcus have small parts.
The rest of the class will take turns reading the parts of Narrator 1 and Narrator 2.
Who is interested in playing these roles? (Either pull names or accept eager student volunteers.)
Other lesson plan links that go with the story
Here are the other lesson plan links that go with this story:
- Section 1: Lesson Objectives
- 2A. Section 2A: K-W-L MODEL discussion part 1 (‘K’ and ‘W’ questions)
- 2B. Section 2B: K-W-L MODEL discussion part 2 (‘K’ and ‘W’ questions)
- Section 3: Vocabulary
- Section 4: Story
- Section 5: Popcorn Review
- Section 6: Role-Play
- Section 7: Bloom’s Taxonomy discussion questions
- Section 8: Writing assignment
- Section 9: K-W-L MODEL discussion (‘L’ questions)
- Bonus: Role-play slideshow: The Star (See above article and slideshow role-play.)
- Bonus: Printable anti-bullying worksheet: Write about ‘The Star’
Free scripted role-play PDF download link
To get the free scripted role-play PDF download link, click the link below. You can download the role-play to your computer, print it off, and duplicate it for the students in your class.
- Free PDF role-play link: The Star
A paper-saving suggestion
To save paper, you might only want to duplicate ten copies of the role-play and then have your students share the script between them. If you have an overhead projector or some way to project the role-play from the slideshow onto the wall or screen, you could save paper altogether.
For your viewing pleasure, please enjoy the video called “What Mountain Climbing Teaches Us About Ego.”
Other Hero’s Journey set 1 role-play slideshow links
- Role-play slideshow: Water of Life
- Role-play slideshow: The Ball
- Role-play slideshow: The Drum
- Role-play slideshow: The Dance
- Role-play slideshow: The Heart
- Role-play slideshow: The Word
- Role-play slideshow: The Feeling
- Role-play slideshow: The Star
Other Hero’s Journey set 2 role-play slideshow links
The Hero’s Journey of Little Jack
- Role-play slideshow: The 'ordinary world' of Little Jack
- Role-play slideshow: Little Jack receives his 'call to adventure'
- Role-play slideshow: Little Jack crosses the 'first threshold'
- Role-play slideshow: Little Jack approaches the 'inmost cave'
- Role-play slideshow: Little Jack goes through a 'supreme ordeal'
- Role-play slideshow: Little Jack's cousin Jordan comes for a long visit
- Role-play slideshow: Little Jack's reward
- Role-play slideshow: Little Jack's got it all figured out
Follow on: | Twitter |
For comments or questions, e-mail: email@example.com