Get your free PDF download of the scripted role-play called “The Dance.” Just scroll down near the end of this article for the free download link.
This is one of several Hero’s Journey role-plays appropriate for middle school students that teaches anti-bullying and Joseph Campbell’s Hero’s Journey process.
What is the role-play about? You can watch the slideshow to find out. You can also read the description below.
Hero’s Journey role-play description: Here is a story scenario you can use to help teach about the importance of the Character Education traits of Self Control, Valuing & Respecting Self, Valuing & Respecting Others, and Tolerance & Allowing. In the set of follow-up discussion questions, your students will also learn key features of Joseph Campbell’s hero’s journey process.
This is the third story of seven about a 6th-grade boy named Jack. Sixth-grade basketball star, Jack, starts going out with seventh-grade cheerleader, Ann. At first, their relationship is fun for both of them. But when Jack decides he wishes to also spend time with his other friends and go out for track, Ann becomes possessive. Will they manage to stay together or break up?
Please note: As a clinical social worker, Mr. Terry Gardner kindly created these stories for Debbie Dunn’s Communication Skills class at CMS back in 2001.This Terry Gardner Jack Tale is shared in his memory and with permission of his widow, Lin Gardner.
Note to the teacher: In addition to the role-play, you can also read it in story form. You might want to read the story to the class first and then have the class act out the role-play. Here’s the link:
- Story link: The Dance
Teacher Says or Asks: We will now act out the role-play based on the last story you just heard called “The Dance.”
The role-play features five guy actors: Jack, Coach Brown, Ron, and Don.
The role-play also features two girl actors: Ann and Ann’s Mom.
Jack, Ann, and Coach Brown have the big to medium-size parts. The other characters have small parts.
The rest of the class will take turns reading the parts of Narrator 1 and Narrator 2.
Who is interested in playing these roles? (Either pull names or accept eager student volunteers.)
Other lesson plan links that go with the story
Here are the other lesson plan links that go with this story:
- Section 1: Lesson Objectives
- 2A. Section 2A: K-W-L MODEL discussion part 1 (‘K’ and ‘W’ questions)
- 2B. Section 2B: K-W-L MODEL discussion part 2 (‘K’ and ‘W’ questions)
- Section 3: Vocabulary
- Section 4: Story
- Section 5: Popcorn Review
- Section 6: Role-Play
- Section 7: Bloom’s Taxonomy discussion questions
- Section 8: Writing assignment
- Section 9: K-W-L MODEL discussion (‘L’ questions)
- Bonus: Role-play slideshow: The Dance (See above article and slideshow role-play.)
- Bonus: Printable anti-bullying worksheet: Write about ‘The Dance’
Free scripted role-play PDF download link
To get the free scripted role-play PDF download link, click the link below. You can download the role-play to your computer, print it off, and duplicate it for the students in your class.
- Free PDF role-play link: The Dance
A paper-saving suggestion
To save paper, you might only want to duplicate ten copies of the role-play and then have your students share the script between them. If you have an overhead projector or some way to project the role-play from the slideshow onto the wall or screen, you could save paper altogether.
For your viewing pleasure, please enjoy the video called “Sharing the Love of Dance with the Santa Monica Children's Community.”
Other Hero’s Journey set 1 role-play slideshow links
- Role-play slideshow: Water of Life
- Role-play slideshow: The Ball
- Role-play slideshow: The Drum
- Role-play slideshow: The Dance
- Role-play slideshow: The Heart
- Role-play slideshow: The Word
- Role-play slideshow: The Feeling
- Role-play slideshow: The Star
Other Hero’s Journey set 2 role-play slideshow links
The Hero’s Journey of Little Jack
- Role-play slideshow: The 'ordinary world' of Little Jack
- Role-play slideshow: Little Jack receives his 'call to adventure'
- Role-play slideshow: Little Jack crosses the 'first threshold'
- Role-play slideshow: Little Jack approaches the 'inmost cave'
- Role-play slideshow: Little Jack goes through a 'supreme ordeal'
- Role-play slideshow: Little Jack's cousin Jordan comes for a long visit
- Role-play slideshow: Little Jack's reward
- Role-play slideshow: Little Jack's got it all figured out
Subscribe to: | School Conflict Resolution | K-8 Classroom Activities | Women’s Health |
Follow on: | Twitter |
For comments or questions, e-mail: email@example.com