Get your free PDF download of the scripted role-play called “Little Jack’s got it all figured out.” Just scroll down near the end of this article for the free download link.
This is one of several Hero’s Journey role-plays appropriate for middle school students that teaches anti-bullying and Joseph Campbell’s Hero’s Journey process.
What is the role-play about? You can watch the slideshow to find out. You can also read the description below.
Hero’s Journey role-play description: Little Jack had not seen or heard from the Ancient One for nearly a month; nevertheless, he kind of felt like at least his wisdom was still around. This felt especially true when Tom suddenly insisted that all the guys must take a cigarette – no matter what. Not one of the seventh or eighth grade boys, including his cousin, had the nerve to stand up to him. It appeared that it was going to be up to the sixth grader to save the day.
This is the conclusion of the eight-story series about sixth-grader Little Jack. It’s called “Little Jack’s got it all figured out!”
Please note: This boy is called ‘Little Jack’ by the older guys he hangs out with after school. Why? One of the eighth-grade boys is also named Jack. To avoid confusion, they call the older boy ‘Big Jack’ and this sixth-grade boy ‘Little Jack’.
Note to the teacher: In addition to the role-play, you can also read it in story form. You might want to read the story to the class first and then have the class act out the role-play. Here’s the link:
- Story link: Little Jack’s got it all figured out
Teacher Says or Asks: We will now act out the role-play based on the last story you just heard called “Little Jack’s got it all figured out.”
The role-play features six guy actors: Little Jack, Tom, Will, Big Jack, Steven, and Jordan.
The role-play also features one girl actor: Whitney.
Jack has the big part. Tom and Will have the medium-size parts. Big Jack, Steven, Jordan, and Whitney have the small parts.
The rest of the class will take turns reading the parts of Narrator 1 and Narrator 2.
Who is interested in playing these roles? (Either pull names or accept eager student volunteers.)
Other lesson plan links that go with the story
Here are the other lesson plan links that go with this story:
- Section 1: Lesson Objectives
- 2A. Section 2A: K-W-L MODEL discussion part 1 (‘K’ and ‘W’ questions)
- 2B. Section 2B: K-W-L MODEL discussion part 2 (‘K’ and ‘W’ questions)
- Section 3: Vocabulary
- Section 4: Story
- Section 5: Popcorn Review
- Section 6: Role-Play
- Section 7: Bloom’s Taxonomy discussion questions
- Section 8: Writing assignment
- Section 9: K-W-L MODEL discussion (‘L’ questions)
- Bonus: Role-play slideshow: Little Jack’s got it all figured out (See above article and slideshow role-play.)
- Bonus: Printable anti-bullying worksheet: Write about ‘Little Jack’s got it all figured out’
Free scripted role-play PDF download link
To get the free scripted role-play PDF download link, click the link below. You can download the role-play to your computer, print it off, and duplicate it for the students in your class.
- Free PDF role-play link: Little Jack’s got it all figured out
A paper-saving suggestion
To save paper, you might only want to duplicate ten copies of the role-play and then have your students share the script between them. If you have an overhead projector or some way to project the role-play from the slideshow onto the wall or screen, you could save paper altogether.
For your viewing pleasure, please enjoy the video called “Bullying Prevention Expert: ‘We’ve Dropped the Ball on Kindness’.”
Other Hero’s Journey set 1 role-play slideshow links
- Role-play slideshow: Water of Life
- Role-play slideshow: The Ball
- Role-play slideshow: The Drum
- Role-play slideshow: The Dance
- Role-play slideshow: The Heart
- Role-play slideshow: The Word
- Role-play slideshow: The Feeling
- Role-play slideshow: The Star
Other Hero’s Journey set 2 role-play slideshow links
The Hero’s Journey of Little Jack
- Role-play slideshow: The 'ordinary world' of Little Jack
- Role-play slideshow: Little Jack receives his 'call to adventure'
- Role-play slideshow: Little Jack crosses the 'first threshold'
- Role-play slideshow: Little Jack approaches the 'inmost cave'
- Role-play slideshow: Little Jack goes through a 'supreme ordeal'
- Role-play slideshow: Little Jack's cousin Jordan comes for a long visit
- Role-play slideshow: Little Jack's reward
- Role-play slideshow: Little Jack's got it all figured out
Subscribe to: | School Conflict Resolution | K-8 Classroom Activities | Women’s Health |
Follow on: | Twitter |
For comments or questions, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org