Get your free PDF download of the scripted role-play called “Little Jack crosses the ‘first threshold’.” Just scroll down near the end of this article for the free download link.
This is one of several Hero’s Journey role-plays appropriate for middle school students that teaches anti-bullying and Joseph Campbell’s Hero’s Journey process.
What is the role-play about? You can watch the slideshow to find out. You can also read the description below.
Hero’s Journey role-play description: Listen to this next story about Little Jack. Now that this sixth grader has accepted his ‘call to adventure’, the time has come that Little Jack will have to cross his ‘first threshold’. Unfortunately, he finds that crossing that first threshold is not an easy process to go through as there are sometimes subtle and not-so-subtle enemies or threshold guardians trying to hold him back so that they can keep him from being successful. Fortunately, Little Jack also finds that the Ancient One and possible others serve as allies who will help him to cross that first threshold successfully.
Please note: This boy is called ‘Little Jack’ by the older guys he hangs out with after school. Why? One of the eighth-grade boys is also named Jack. To avoid confusion, they call the older boy ‘Big Jack’ and this sixth-grade boy ‘Little Jack’.
Note to the teacher: In addition to the role-play, you can also read it in story form. You might want to read the story to the class first and then have the class act out the role-play. Here’s the link:
- Story link: Little Jack crosses the ‘first threshold’
Teacher Says or Asks: We will now act out the role-play based on the last story you just heard called “Little Jack crosses the ‘first threshold’.”
The role-play features six guy actors: Little Jack, the Ancient One. Sam, Brian, Will, and Tom.
(Please note that girls can pretend to be a boy or man as they play one of the acting roles. For example, perhaps an entertaining, expressive girl could act out the role of the Ancient One.)
Little Jack and the Ancient One have the big-size parts. Sam, Brian, Will, and Tom have the medium-size to small-size parts.
The rest of the class will take turns reading the parts of Narrator 1 and Narrator 2.
Who is interested in playing these roles? (Either pull names or accept eager student volunteers.)
Other lesson plan links that go with the story
Here are the other lesson plan links that go with this story:
- Section 1: Lesson Objectives
- 2A. Section 2A: K-W-L MODEL discussion part 1 (‘K’ and ‘W’ questions)
- 2B. Section 2B: K-W-L MODEL discussion part 2 (‘K’ and ‘W’ questions)
- Section 3: Vocabulary
- Section 4: Story
- Section 5: Popcorn Review
- Section 6: Role-Play
- Section 7: Bloom’s Taxonomy discussion questions
- Section 8: Writing assignment
- Section 9: K-W-L MODEL discussion (‘L’ questions)
- Bonus: Role-play slideshow: Little Jack crosses the ‘first threshold’ (See above article and slideshow role-play.)
- Bonus: Printable anti-bullying worksheet: Little Jack crosses the ‘first threshold’
Free scripted role-play PDF download link
To get the free scripted role-play PDF download link, click the link below. You can download the role-play to your computer, print it off, and duplicate it for the students in your class.
- Free PDF role-play link: Little Jack crosses the ‘first threshold’
A paper-saving suggestion
To save paper, you might only want to duplicate ten copies of the role-play and then have your students share the script between them. If you have an overhead projector or some way to project the role-play from the slideshow onto the wall or screen, you could save paper altogether.
For your viewing pleasure, please enjoy the video called “How to Refuse Peer Pressure to Attend a Party.”
Other Hero’s Journey set 1 role-play slideshow links
- Role-play slideshow: Water of Life
- Role-play slideshow: The Ball
- Role-play slideshow: The Drum
- Role-play slideshow: The Dance
- Role-play slideshow: The Heart
- Role-play slideshow: The Word
- Role-play slideshow: The Feeling
- Role-play slideshow: The Star
Other Hero’s Journey set 2 role-play slideshow links
The Hero’s Journey of Little Jack
- Role-play slideshow: The 'ordinary world' of Little Jack
- Role-play slideshow: Little Jack receives his 'call to adventure'
- Role-play slideshow: Little Jack crosses the 'first threshold'
- Role-play slideshow: Little Jack approaches the 'inmost cave'
- Role-play slideshow: Little Jack goes through a 'supreme ordeal'
- Role-play slideshow: Little Jack's cousin Jordan comes for a long visit
- Role-play slideshow: Little Jack's reward
- Role-play slideshow: Little Jack's got it all figured out
Follow on: | Twitter |
For comments or questions, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org