Get your free PDF download of the scripted role-play called “Jackie learns how to be a true friend.” Just scroll down near the end of this article for the free download link.
This is one of several Character Education role-plays appropriate for middle school students that teaches anti-bullying and Character Education concepts.
What is the role-play about? You can watch the slideshow to find out. You can also read the description below.
Character Education role-play description: Here is a story scenario you can use to help teach about the character education traits of being caring and giving. This story also demonstrates the importance of showing respect for others. Finally, it teaches some ways of how to be a good friend.
Perhaps you have heard of the many fine Jack tales compiled and edited by Richard Chase. I felt it was about time that a girl got the lead role in one of those stories. So here are the adventures of Jackie - a cousin of that goofy-guy named Jack. The original title of this story was called “A Jackie tale.” For the purposes of this lesson plan, I've changed the title to “Jackie learns how to be a true friend.”
Please Note: The story upon which the role-play is based will not be featured on Examiner.com as it is part of Debbie Dunn’s book called White Reindeer, Kudzu Monster, & Other Tales Of Wonder written under her pen name of DJ Lyons.
Teacher Says or Asks: We will now act out the role-play based on the last story you just heard called “Jackie learns how to be a true friend.”
The role-play features four guy actors: King, Jack, Prince Tim, and a talking cat.
The role-play also features four girl actors: Aunt Bertha, Jazzie, Jammie (pronounced Jam-ee), and Jackie.
The talking cat has the biggest part. The other characters have the medium- to small-size parts.
The rest of the class will take turns reading the parts of Narrator 1 and Narrator 2.
Who is interested in playing these roles? (Either pull names or accept eager student volunteers.)
Other lesson plan links that go with the story
Here are the other lesson plan links that go with this story:
- Section 1: Lesson Objectives
- Section 2: K-W-L MODEL discussion (‘K’ and ‘W’ questions)
- Section 3: Vocabulary
- Section 4: Role-Play
- Section 5: Popcorn Review
- Section 6: Bloom’s Taxonomy discussion questions
- Section 7: Writing assignment
- Section 8: K-W-L MODEL discussion (‘L’ questions)
- Bonus: Role-play slideshow: Jackie learns how to be a true friend (See above article and role-play.)
- Bonus: Printable anti-bullying worksheet: Write about ‘Jackie learns how to be a true friend’
Free scripted role-play PDF download link
To get the free scripted role-play PDF download link, click the link below. You can download the role-play to your computer, print it off, and duplicate it for the students in your class.
- Free PDF role-play link: Jackie learns how to be a true friend
A paper-saving suggestion
To save paper, you might only want to duplicate ten copies of the role-play and then have your students share the script between them. If you have an overhead projector or some way to project the role-play from the slideshow onto the wall or screen, you could save paper altogether.
Jazzie and Jammie certainly did not use good etiquette with Prince Tim; whereas, Jackie did. Just for fun, watch the bonus video called “Basic Etiquette Tips”
Other Character Education role-play slideshow links
- Role-play slideshow: Accept me for who I am
- Role-play slideshow: Animal Justice for the Hyena and the Hare
- Role-play slideshow: Be part of the Solution
- Role-play slideshow: How the Tortoise got cracks in his shell
- Role-play slideshow: How to tactfully handle acquaintances who leach on to you
- Role-play slideshow: Jackie learns how to be a good friend
- Role-play slideshow: Making friends with kids from other schools
- Role-play slideshow: Sarah and Jennifer end their friendship
- Role-play slideshow: Three outcomes for Denise
Other anger management role-play slideshow links
- Role-play slideshow: Angry Blake
- Role-play slideshow: Sam self-mentors versus psychological warfare
- Role-play slideshow: Control your anger with SPAM
- Role-play slideshow: A role-play that demonstrates the SPAM method
- Role-play slideshow: SPAM and Stairstep Thinking
- Role-play slideshow: Aftermath of the first kiss
- Role-play slideshow: Debbie tries to fix her mistake
- Role-play slideshow: Pranks, Idle Threats, and Promises
- Role-play slideshow: Matt falsely accuses Jonathan of stealing
Other fight or flight role-play slideshow links
- Role-play slideshow: Bully Jake and Eddie
- Role-play slideshow: Jake tries to rebuild his trust level with others
- Role-play slideshow: Tyler chooses between Dennis and Shawn’s gang
- Role-play slideshow: A Mediation session with Shawn, Tyler, and Dennis
- Role-play slideshow: Thicken Your Skin to Put-Downs
Other basic needs role-play slideshow links
- Role-play slideshow: A false rumor about Brittany
- Role-play slideshow: It all happened because Mark overslept and missed breakfast
- Role-play slideshow: Oscar the Outcast
- Role-play slideshow: Who will make the Princess laugh?
Other Perception role-play slideshow links
- Role-play slideshow: Julie’s big challenge
- Role-play slideshow: Joshua’s experiment in sending positive peer pressure
- Role-play slideshow: The Confrontation
- Role-play slideshow: Frogs and newts or gold coins (coming soon)
- Role-play slideshow: Jessica’s painful experience (coming soon)
- Role-play slideshow: Jessica and Tonya combine their resources (coming soon)
- Role-play slideshow: Clever Angie thinks fast (coming soon)
- Role-play slideshow: Christy and Laura both like Brandon (coming soon)
- Role-play slideshow: Roxanne and Courtney jump to the wrong conclusions (coming soon)
- Role-play slideshow: The misunderstanding (coming soon)
- Role-play slideshow: Six blind men and the elephant (coming soon)
- Role-play slideshow: Wild Boar (coming soon)
Follow on: | Twitter |
For comments or questions, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org