Get your free PDF download of the scripted role-play called “Goofy Jane.” Just scroll down near the end of this article for the free download link.
This is one of several Communication Skills role-plays appropriate for middle school students that teaches anti-bullying techniques and strategies to utilize good communication skills techniques.
What is the role-play about? You can watch the slideshow to find out. You can also read the description below.
Communication Skills role-play description: Here is a story scenario you can use to help teach about the need for using good communication skills when interacting with other people. This comic story called “Goofy Jane” demonstrates the pitfalls that can happen when you do not follow the simple rules of being a good communicator.
Eighteen-year-old Jane is training to be a singer, dancer, and actress so she can become a Hollywood movie star. She nearly blows her chance to fulfill her dream as she breaks every communication skill rule with a Hollywood agent by the name of Mr. Headworthy. Read the role-play called “Goofy Jane” to find out what happens.
Teacher Says or Asks: We will now act out the role-play based on the last story you just heard called “Goofy Jane.”
The role-play features one guy actor: Mr. Headworthy.
The role-play also features two girl actors: Goofy Jane and Jane’s mother.
All three actors have big parts.
The rest of the class will take turns reading the parts of Narrator 1 and Narrator 2.
Who is interested in playing these roles? (Either pull names or accept eager student volunteers.)
Other lesson plan links that go with the story
Here are the other lesson plan links that go with this story:
- Section 1: Lesson Objectives
- Section 2: K-W-L MODEL discussion (‘K’ and ‘W’ questions)
- Section 3: Vocabulary
- Section 4: Role-Play
- Section 5: Popcorn Review
- Section 6: Bloom’s Taxonomy discussion questions
- Section 7: 13 skits to teach good communication techniques
- Printable skit #1 student directions: Eye Contact
- Printable skit #2 student directions: Good observations
- Printable skit #3 student directions: Body language
- Printable skit #4 student directions: Good listener
- Printable skit #5 student directions: Turn-taking
- Printable skit #6 student directions: The way you speak
- Printable skit #7 student directions: Stay on the subject
- Printable skit #8 student directions: Normal volume
- Printable skit #9 student directions: Normal pitch
- Printable skit #10 student directions: Clear speech
- Printable skit #11 student directions: Rate of speech
- Printable skit #12 student directions: Adequate distance
- Printable skit #13 student directions: Don't fidget
- Bonus: Role-play slideshow: Goofy Jane (See above article and slideshow role-play.)
- Bonus: Printable anti-bullying worksheet: Write about ‘Goofy Jane’
Free scripted role-play PDF download link
To get the free scripted role-play PDF download link, click the link below. You can download the role-play to your computer, print it off, and duplicate it for the students in your class.
- Free PDF role-play link: Goofy Jane
A paper-saving suggestion
To save paper, you might only want to duplicate ten copies of the role-play and then have your students share the script between them. If you have an overhead projector or some way to project the role-play from the slideshow onto the wall or screen, you could save paper altogether.
For your viewing pleasure, please enjoy the video called “How to Improve Your Communication Skills.”
Other Communication Skills role-play slideshow links
- Role-play slideshow: Dennis Learns about Responsible Reporting
- Role-play slideshow: Fred learns to make Good Observations
- Role-play slideshow: Goofy Jane
- Role-play slideshow: Josh takes a Risk
- Role-play slideshow: Little Red-Riding-Hood and Omega Wolf Bert
Other Peer Pressure versus Exercise No Muscle role-play slideshow links
- Role-play slideshow: Peer pressure is hard to resist (coming soon)
- Other role-play slideshows on this topic to come (coming soon)
Other perception role-play slideshow links
- Role-play slideshow: Julie’s big challenge
- Role-play slideshow: Joshua’s experiment in sending positive peer pressure
- Role-play slideshow: The Confrontation
- Role-play slideshow: Frogs and newts or gold coins
- Role-play slideshow: Jessica’s painful experience
- Role-play slideshow: Jessica and Tonya combine their resources
- Role-play slideshow: Clever Angie thinks fast
- Role-play slideshow: Christy and Laura both like Brandon
- Role-play slideshow: Roxanne and Courtney jump to the wrong conclusions
- Role-play slideshow: The misunderstanding
Other anger management role-play slideshow links
- Role-play slideshow: Angry Blake
- Role-play slideshow: Sam self-mentors versus psychological warfare
- Role-play slideshow: Control your anger with SPAM
- Role-play slideshow: A role-play that demonstrates the SPAM method
- Role-play slideshow: SPAM and Stairstep Thinking
- Role-play slideshow: Aftermath of the first kiss
- Role-play slideshow: Debbie tries to fix her mistake
- Role-play slideshow: Pranks, Idle Threats, and Promises
- Role-play slideshow: Matt falsely accuses Jonathan of stealing
Other fight or flight role-play slideshow links
- Role-play slideshow: Bully Jake and Eddie
- Role-play slideshow: Jake tries to rebuild his trust level with others
- Role-play slideshow: Tyler chooses between Dennis and Shawn’s gang
- Role-play slideshow: A Mediation session with Shawn, Tyler, and Dennis
- Role-play slideshow: Thicken Your Skin to Put-Downs
Other basic needs role-play slideshow links
- Role-play slideshow: A false rumor about Brittany
- Role-play slideshow: It all happened because Mark overslept and missed breakfast
- Role-play slideshow: Oscar the Outcast
- Role-play slideshow: Who will make the Princess laugh?
Other self-mentoring role-play slideshow links
- Role-play slideshow: Hyena’s dilemma at a fork in the path
- Role-play slideshow: Jacob listens to his Inner Wisdom
- Role-play slideshow: Jerry Checks His Facts
- Role-play slideshow: Jesse needs to learn to set firm boundaries
- Role-play slideshow: Who Really Started the Rumor about Cindy?
Follow on: | Twitter |
For comments or questions, e-mail: email@example.com