Get your free PDF download of the scripted role-play called “Finding Jessica’s jigsaw puzzle piece.” Just scroll down near the end of this article for the free download link.
This is one of several perception role-plays appropriate for middle school students that teaches anti-bullying and perception and perceiving concepts.
What is the role-play about? You can watch the slideshow to find out. You can also read the description below.
Perception role-play description: This story is fiction, but it is based on true events. The idea for the story came from a social worker who used to live in Knoxville, Tennessee. She had clients who had to get their stomach pumped due to either accidentally or purposely taking an overdose of pills or drugs.
One of the points of the story is that if you cloud your vision or dull your senses by taking drugs or drinking alcohol, the world will lose out of all your special talents and abilities. Each of you is essential to making the world the best possible place it can be.
Please note: Due to the sensitive nature of the story, the role-play is the sequel rather than a replay of Jessica's painful experience.
The sequel role-play is called "Finding Jessica's Jigsaw Puzzle Piece." At the group counseling session conducted by a man named Stephan, Jessica and the rest of the group were most touched by these words: "You are each one jigsaw puzzle piece in a giant jigsaw puzzle. ... There is something special each one of you can do to make that jigsaw puzzle piece be complete and help the world to be a better place to live." Jessica strives to figure out what her particular jigsaw puzzle contribution to the world might be.
Note to the teacher: Read the story to the class first. Due to the sensitive nature of the subject matter, this story will not be reenacted as a role-play. Instead, there is a follow-up role-play called “Finding Jessica’s Jigsaw Puzzle Piece.”
Here are the links to both:
- Perception Story link: Jessica’s Painful Experience
- Perception Role-Play link: Finding Jessica’s Jigsaw Puzzle Piece
Teacher Says or Asks: We will now act out the follow-up role-play that is a spin –off of the last story you just heard called “Jessica’s Painful Experience.” The spin-off role-play is called “Finding Jessica’s jigsaw puzzle piece.”
The role-play features two guy actors: Stephan and Discussion Leader #1.
The role-play also features three girl actors: Jessica, Jessica's Mom, and Discussion Leader #2.
All five actors have medium-size to big-size parts.
The rest of the class will take turns reading the parts of Narrator 1 and Narrator 2.
Who is interested in playing these roles? (Either pull names or accept eager student volunteers.)
Other lesson plan links that go with the story
Here are the other lesson plan links that go with this story:
- Middle school lesson plan: Jessica’s Painful Experience plus sequel role-play called “Finding Jessica’s Jigsaw Puzzle Piece”
- Section 1: Lesson Objectives
- Section 2: K-W-L MODEL discussion (‘K’ and ‘W’ questions)
- Section 3: Vocabulary
- Section 4: Story
- Section 5: Popcorn Review
- Section 6: Role-Play
- Section 7: Bloom’s Taxonomy discussion questions
- Section 8: Writing assignment
- Section 9: K-W-L MODEL discussion (‘L’ questions)
- Bonus: Role-play slideshow: Finding Jessica’s jigsaw puzzle piece (See above article and slideshow role-play.)
- Bonus: Printable anti-bullying worksheet: Write about ‘Finding your jigsaw puzzle piece’
Free scripted role-play PDF download link
To get the free scripted role-play PDF download link, click the link below. You can download the role-play to your computer, print it off, and duplicate it for the students in your class.
- Free PDF role-play link: Finding Jessica’s jigsaw puzzle piece
A paper-saving suggestion
To save paper, you might only want to duplicate ten copies of the role-play and then have your students share the script between them. If you have an overhead projector or some way to project the role-play from the slideshow onto the wall or screen, you could save paper altogether.
For your viewing pleasure, please enjoy the video called “The Dangers of Alcohol Poisoning.”
Other perception role-play slideshow links
- Role-play slideshow: Julie’s big challenge
- Role-play slideshow: Joshua’s experiment in sending positive peer pressure
- Role-play slideshow: The Confrontation
- Role-play slideshow: Frogs and newts or gold coins
- Role-play slideshow: Jessica’s painful experience
- Role-play slideshow: Jessica and Tonya combine their resources
- Role-play slideshow: Clever Angie thinks fast
- Role-play slideshow: Christy and Laura both like Brandon
- Role-play slideshow: Roxanne and Courtney jump to the wrong conclusions
- Role-play slideshow: The misunderstanding
Other anger management role-play slideshow links
- Role-play slideshow: Angry Blake
- Role-play slideshow: Sam self-mentors versus psychological warfare
- Role-play slideshow: Control your anger with SPAM
- Role-play slideshow: A role-play that demonstrates the SPAM method
- Role-play slideshow: SPAM and Stairstep Thinking
- Role-play slideshow: Aftermath of the first kiss
- Role-play slideshow: Debbie tries to fix her mistake
- Role-play slideshow: Pranks, Idle Threats, and Promises
- Role-play slideshow: Matt falsely accuses Jonathan of stealing
Other fight or flight role-play slideshow links
- Role-play slideshow: Bully Jake and Eddie
- Role-play slideshow: Jake tries to rebuild his trust level with others
- Role-play slideshow: Tyler chooses between Dennis and Shawn’s gang
- Role-play slideshow: A Mediation session with Shawn, Tyler, and Dennis
- Role-play slideshow: Thicken Your Skin to Put-Downs
Other basic needs role-play slideshow links
- Role-play slideshow: A false rumor about Brittany
- Role-play slideshow: It all happened because Mark overslept and missed breakfast
- Role-play slideshow: Oscar the Outcast
- Role-play slideshow: Who will make the Princess laugh?
Other self-mentoring role-play slideshow links
- Role-play slideshow: Hyena’s dilemma at a fork in the path
- Role-play slideshow: Jacob listens to his Inner Wisdom
- Role-play slideshow: Jerry Checks His Facts
- Role-play slideshow: Jesse needs to learn to set firm boundaries
- Role-play slideshow: Who Really Started the Rumor about Cindy?
Follow on: | Twitter |
For comments or questions, e-mail: email@example.com