The toasted almonds are a delicious addition to this homemade treat. It is easy to toast the almonds. Just heat a dry skillet over low heat. Add the almonds. Cook, stirring frequently until lightly browned, about 2 minutes. Cool nuts completely before adding into mixture.
This recipe uses a store-bought, pre-made Oreo cookie pie crust. This shortcut helps to significantly reduce the dessert preparation time. If a totally homemade concoction is preferred, finely crush some Oreo cookies (about 1 1/2 cups or 20 to 22 cookies) and mix with 3 tablespoons of melted butter. Firmly press this crumb mixture into the bottom and up the sides of a Springform pan. Then, proceed with remaining recipe.
Rocky Road Pie
- 1 package (3.9 ounces) instant chocolate pudding mix
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/4 cup toasted, chopped natural almonds
- 1/2 cup miniature marshmallows, chopped
- 1 container (8 ounces) frozen whipped topping, thawed; like Cool Whip
- 1 package (6 ounces) Oreo crumb pie crust
- Chocolate curls, optional
- In a large bowl, whisk together dry pudding mix, cocoa powder, milk and almond extract until thickened.
- Stir in chopped almonds and marshmallows.
- Cover bowl and refrigerate until set, about 30 minutes.
- Gently fold 1/2 cup whipped topping into pudding mix until blended.
- Evenly spread mixture into pie crust.
- Cover pie and refrigerate until set, about 2 hours.
- Spread remaining whipped topping over pie.
- Garnish with chocolate curls, if desired.
Serves 6 to 8.