Self-proclaimed “Cult Artist' and indie rock legend Robyn Hitchcock is again paying tribute to one of his greatest influences, Bob Dylan, after the conclusion of his “Insects and Stars” mini-tour of Australia with Steve Kilbey of the Church. The show takes place at the Flying Saucer Club in Elsternwick, Australia, on May 30, six days after the Bard of Hibbing turns 73.
- Robyn Hitchcock Celebrates Bob Dylan's 73rd Birthday
- FRIDAY 30 MAY: To celebrate Bob’s 73rd birthday, The Flying Saucer Club is proud to present ‘Robyn sings Dylan’. In 2002 Robyn Hitchcock released ‘Robyn Sings’, an album comprised entirely of Bob Dylan songs. All Music has this to say of the album – “Without sounding sacrilegious, Hitchcock's voice is more pleasing than Dylan's and his acoustic guitar playing is also better, making his versions, much like the Byrds’ and Jimi Hendrix's before him, arguably superior to the Dylan takes.”
Reserved Seating: $45 + bf
General Admission: $30 + bf
Door (G.A.): $35
Doors Open: 6:30 p.m. (Seats/Dining), 8 p.m. (G.A.)
Showtime: 8:40 p.m.
- PLEASE NOTE: The online ticket window for this event will close 2 hours prior to show opening time. To purchase tickets after this time, please try your luck at the venue box office.
Even though Hitchcock has been sprinkling Dylan songs into his sets for decades, it appears he’s been gearing up for this concert at recent gigs, usually during the encores. Below is a sampling:
- January 30 at the Melting Point in Athens, Gerogia, and on March 1, at the Open Arts Stage in Bordentown, New Jersey, he encored with “Visions Of Johanna.”
- On February 24, @RobynHitchcock tweeted: "Beloved DelMarVa crabs, I'm playing at the @RamsHeadOnStage tomorrow night. Which Dylan song would you like to hear in the encore?" He ended up choosing “Open the Door, Homer.”
- February 22, at Eddie’s Attic in Decatur, Georgia, Hitchcock covered “She Belongs To Me.”
- February 28, at Concerts In The Studio in Freehold, New Jersey, courtesy of “Jeremy’s Journal”: “The encore happens in Mark's dining room next to the potluck supper, and is 100% "Basement Tapes tunes" -- 'Tiny Montgomery,' 'Lo and Behold,' 'Quinn the Eskimo,' and 'Open the Door, Homer.' You have some baked beans and some pasta salad and a beer, and marvel at the glow of happiness on everybody's faces,”
- March 3, at the Sellersville Theater 1894 in Pennsylvania, he covered “4th Time Around” after musing about the mono version of “Blonde On Blonde.”
For more on Hitchcock and Dylan, please check out the links below.
UPDATE: ROBYN HITCHCOCK CELEBRATES BOB DYLAN'S BIRTHDAY Tickets NSW
7:30pm, Fri 23rd May, 2014
The Basement, NSW
Robyn Hitchcock describes his songs as “paintings you can listen to”. The eclectic English born singer-songwriter is temporarily relocating to Australia, neatly avoiding the ferocious English summer, in pursuit of the two passions in his life – painting and songwriting… so we asked him if he would be so kind as to play some shows while he was here.
Bob Dylan's Birthday:
To celebrate Bob's 73rd birthday 'Robyn sings Dylan' will be performed at The Basement Sydney on Friday May 23 and at The Flying Saucer Club Melbourne on Friday May 30th. Robyn is anticipating a few musical friends dropping by for these special shows so why not make it an imperative to join them.
Keep up with Bob Dylan Examiner news. Just click on Subscribe above, or follow @DylanExaminer on Twitter. Harold Lepidus also writes the Performing Arts column for Examiner.com. Thanks for your support.