Skip to main content
Report this ad

See also:

Roadrunners stun Houston at new stadium opener

Football: University of Houston v UTSA: August 29 2014-slide0
Photo by Stacy Revere/Getty Images

The Roadrunners have kept their perfect record in season openers intact as they managed their most famous victory in school history as they managed a 27-7 win over University of Houston to open Houston's new TDECU stadium on Friday night.

Jason Neill celebrates a sack
Photo by Stacy Revere/Getty Images

The Roadrunners made history as they stunned Houston, scoring the first touchdown in the stadium history as a fumbled snap allowed UTSA to take possession three yards out, allowing David Glasco II to run three yards and score, giving UTSA a shock 7-0 lead.

Both sides were really struggling to get any offensive play going, showing how early in the season the game was, with neither side really getting things going in a game where scoring was difficult.

UTSA's defensive line was having a phenomenal game, keeping Houston down to three and outs, but their offense was struggling, with Tucker Carter being sacked repeatedly early.

The Roadrunners had a chance to extend their lead as they got in to scoring range after a lengthy period where neither side could make it out of their own half, only for a missed pass from Carter and a pulled field goal from Sean Ianno to keep it to 7-0.

Marcus Davenport kept things tight for the Roadrunners with an impressive sack as he ran through the Cougars Offensive Line and secured a fourth down to stop a threatening situation.

With time running down in the first half, Carter started to get over his nerves and managed three spectacular passes before Glasco scored his second touchdown to give UTSA 14-0 lead at the half.

It was all rushing for the Roadrunners early in the half as they were able to push for first-downs as they managed to keep pressure on Houston.

After burning a time-out UTSA managed to make it 21-0 as Jarveon Williams managed to run in from 11 yards to make any come-back for the Cougars a miracle, but with eight minutes left in the third the Roadrunners could not be too comfortable.

UTSA used their rushing again to secure a first and goal scenario with three minutes to play in the third, but the Cougars defense lifted and they stalled the Roadrunners, forcing them to go for the field goal which Ianno scored to make it 24-0.

Houston really started to really go on the attack in the final quarter, needing four scores to get back in front, but UTSA's stern defense denied the Cougars.

Houston finally got in to scoring position but UTSA again stopped them as Mauricio Sanchez stole an interception to keep Houston scoreless.

The Cougars just did not look like doing anything to stop UTSA and with four minutes to play they made it 27 as Ianno hit a 30 yarder to extend the memorable win further in front of a now almost empty stadium.

With 64 seconds to play Houston finally avoided the shutout as a short run up the middle got it over the goal-line, making it 27-7.

Report this ad