On October 29, 2013, the US Olympic Committee hosted the Road to Sochi 100 Day Countdown event. The event was held in the heart of NY, Times Square, to mark the 100 day countdown until the Olympic Winter Games in Sochi, Russia and kick off the “Road to Sochi Tour” presented by Liberty Mutual Insurance.
The 100 Day Countdown has become celebration prior to each Olympic Games. This year was the largest event to date with activities spanning along Broadway from 45th Street to 48th Street. The first stop featured appearances by over 50 US Olympic and Paralympic athletes and 2014 hopefuls. These athletes signed autographs for fans and took part in demonstrations and on-stage interviews.
The Road to Sochi event featured a ski slope and ice rink in the heart of Times Square for athletes to demonstrate their skills for the public. The public was given the opportunity to see their favorite Olympic athletes showcase ski and snowboarding tricks on the ramps along the ski slope, as well as curling, figure skating, speed skating and ice hockey in the hockey rink and the Flying Ace All-Stars performing ski and snowboard tricks on trampolines.
The Road to Sochi tour will continue throughout the nation, making stops in:
- New York, New York: October 29 (100 Day Countdown)
- Minneapolis, Minnesota: November 2-3
- Fargo, North Dakota November 2-3
- Dallas, Texas: December 7-8
- Park City, Utah: December 28-29)
- Kearns, Utah: January 3-4)
- Boston, Massachusetts: January 10-12
- Las Vegas, Nevada: January 18
- Atlanta, Georgia: January 25-26
- Los Angeles, California: February 7
- Vail, Colorado: February 15
- Chicago, Illinois: February 19-20
- New York, New York: February 23
For more information on the Road to Sochi, please visit: http://www.teamusa.org/Road-to-Sochi-2014