Skip to main content
Report this ad

See also:

Rivermen top the Admirals in 3-2 shootout victory; Bartley heads to Nashville

MILWAUKEE - With injuries and lineup changes, coach Dean Evason was happy to walk away with a point in Sunday evenings 3-2 shootout loss to the Peoria Rivermen. Captain Mike Moore was out of the lineup, as he was ineligible to play because he's on waivers, and defenseman Joonas Jarvinen left midway through the contest after taking a nasty puck to the face. In addition, defenseman Victor Bartley was told to pack his bags and head to Nashville as the teams eighth defenseman for camp shortly after leaving the ice. Evason credited his players, as well as assistant coach Stan Drulia with keeping the game together.

Admirals goaltender Jeremy Smith during 01/13/2013 game against Peoria.
Admirals goaltender Jeremy Smith during 01/13/2013 game against Peoria.
Scott Paulus/Milwaukee Admirals

"There's no question [on being happy with getting a point in tonight's game]. Stan [Drulia] did a marvelous job on the defense, with not having Morrisette in there and Jarvinen going down, we had some individuals who stepped up... We did a nice job and it started with Stan on the back end."

After years of clamoring for video replay, Admirals fans finally saw the newly-implemented goal review system in action. Forward Ben Ryan sent a snap shot over the glove of Peoria goaltender Mike McKenna, which immediately ricocheted off a pipe and back into play. Luckily for the Admirals, this is the first year the league is using video replay, and after a brief review, referee Keith Kaval ruled it as a goal. The goal marked Ryan's first goal of the season and Milwaukee's first of the evening.

Alternate captain Mark Van Guilder, who earned an assist on the play, gave a little insight to the goal review. This was the first time the Admirals were awarded a goal after the video replay.

"The shot came in and out of the net so quick. I think it was kind of confusing because it took so long for the whistle to blow. They've got cameras over the net, so it is pretty simple for him to go back and watch the replay of the above view. Once he saw it hit the back bar instead of the cross bar, it was a pretty easy goal for him to call."

Minutes later, Peoria answered with a goal of their own after converting on their first power-play opportunity of the game. With Michael Latta in the box on an interference call, Peoria forwards Adam Cracknell and Derek Nesbitt teamed up to even the score.

After a scoreless second, the two teams traded goals early in the third period. Cracknell returned to the scoresheet at the 2:52 mark of the final frame, redirecting a shot from line mate Brent Regner just after the Rivermen killed off their third penalty of the game. Milwaukee tied it up after Taylor Beck lit the lamp after taking a nice cross ice feed from Michael Latta.

An undecided overtime period led Milwaukee to their second straight shootout in as many nights. The Admirals failed to light the lamp on four attempts, so goals from Phil McRae and Sergey Andronov secured the Rivermen's second win of the weekend over the Ads.

The teams power-play woes continued through the game, as the team has gone 0/17 in their recent man-advantage dry spell.

"We need a chance to work on it. We've got different personnel playing every night in different positions. Before they [Chris Mueller and Ryan Ellis] left we scored three or four times in a row on it [the power-play], and since they've been gone we've obviously struggled.

When asked about Joonas Jarvinen's status following his injury, Evason said he had been taken to the hospital for stitches.

The Admirals head to Abbotsford for a pair of games next weekend before returning to home ice the following Wednesday to face the Houston Aeros.


Report this ad