For the third weekend in a row, ‘Ride Along’ topped the domestic box office, according to industry figures released Monday.
On a Super Bowl weekend when Seattle dominated Denver 43-8, the action comedy ‘Ride Along’ starring Ice Cube and Kevin Hart, grossed $12 million in ticket sales from Friday to Sunday for a total of $92.6 million since opening Jan. 17.
Disney’s animated 3D comedy adventure ‘Frozen’ continued its remarkable run at the box office, moving up two spots to No. 2 in its 11th weekend, earning $8.9 million for a total of $359.6 million since opening in limited release Nov. 22.
One of two new nationwide releases, R-rated romantic comedy ‘That Awkward Moment’ starring Zac Efron opened at No. 3 with $8.7 million.
Animated adventure comedy ‘The Nut Job’ slipped one notch to No. 4 in its third weekend, earning $7.2 million for a total of $49.9 million since opening Jan. 17.
Biographical military action drama ‘Lone Survivor’ starring Mark Wahlberg dropped three spots to No. 5 in its sixth weekend, earning $7 million for a total of $104.7 million since opening in limited release Christmas day.
The weekend’s only other nationwide release, drama 'Labor Day’ starring Kate Winslet and Josh Brolin opened at No. 7 with $5.1 million.
FRIDAY’S NATIONWIDE RELEASES
- An ordinary LEGO figure mistaken for a prophetic hero is recruited to save the universe from an evil tyrant in animated 3D action comedy ‘The LEGO Movie.’ Rated PG. Watch the official trailer here.
- An unlikely group of men try to rescue rare, historic art from the Nazis during World War II in biographical action drama ‘The Monuments Men’ starring George Clooney, Matt Damon, Bill Murray, John Goodman and Cate Blanchett. Based on a true story. Rated PG-13. Watch the official trailer here.
- A half-human, half-vampire girl guards peaceful vampires from the bloodthirsty kind in action comedy fantasy ‘Vampire Academy.’ Based on the young adult novels by Richelle Mead. Rated PG-13. Watch the official trailer here.
TUESDAY’S DVD/BLU-RAY RELEASES
- A time traveler gets involved with a woman in R-rated romantic drama ‘About Time’ starring Rachel McAdams.
- A single woman embarks on a journey to find her future husband in comedy ‘Baggage Claim’ starring Paula Patton. Rated PG-13.
- An electrician in 1985 works outside the system to help AIDS patients acquire medicine after he's diagnosed with the disease in R-rated drama ‘Dallas Buyers Club’ starring Matthew McConaughey. Inspired by true events.
- A security expert finds himself incarcerated in a secret prison and must use his skills to break out in R-rated action thriller ‘Escape Plan’ starring Sylvester Stallone and Arnold Schwarzenegger.
- Two turkeys team up to travel back in time to change history so their species isn't on the holiday menus of the future in animated adventure comedy ‘Free Birds.’ Rated PG.