Christmas time is the busiest time of year with all the hustle and bustle of holiday shopping, decorating and cooking that many wrap themselves up in. Creating a special treat for children to either enjoy at home with their brothers, sisters and cousins or to share with their classmates before school lets out for their Christmas or winter break.
This is such an easy little treat that children light up like the lights on the Christmas tree when they see these little reindeers riding on a stick. So let’s get started with the recipe so you too can make a batch for your children or their class party. Teachers will love this treat. They are easy to dish out and there isn’t any mess like there is with cupcakes and cookie crumbs.
- Mini pretzels
- Large marshmallows
- Chocolate chips (milk or semi-sweet)
- Red, white and black tubes of decorating icing
- Lollipop sticks
- A large piece of Styrofoam
- 1 large sheet of waxed or parchment paper
- In a small sauce pan or double boiler melt ½ a bag of chocolate chips until smooth and remove from the heat.
- Take a lollipop stick and press it into the bottom of a large marshmallow one-third the way up.
- Continue placing the sticks into each marshmallow. How many you decide to create is up to you.
- Once the marshmallows all have a stick dip one at a time into the melted chocolate.
- Allow the excess chocolate to drip off.
- Place two small pretzels on the parchment paper and lay the wet chocolate dipped marshmallow upon it.
- Continue until all the chocolate marshmallows have their pretzel antlers.
- Allow all the treats to completely cool and dry before decorating with the colored icing tubes.
- Squirt two circles in white with a smaller circle dot of black in the center to create the eyes.
- Then add a small red circle dot to form the nose of the reindeer.
- Let the treats completely dry and the icing to harden before transferring them into the Styrofoam block.
- Gently press them into the Styrofoam so each reindeer treat is standing up as if riding on a stick.
- When the children are ready to eat them they can grab one for themselves by pulling up the stick to get their treat.
© 2013 Beverly Mucha / All Rights Reserved
Never miss another recipe, cooking tip or news story again! Subscribe to Beverly Mucha @ Jackson Cooking Examiner and receive a free notification every time something new is published.
More reading topics from this author: