Hopefully you have some leftover rhubarb in the freezer from last summer. If not, plan ahead for next year by cutting up rhubarb this spring, plopping into freezer bags and store some away for desserts during the winter. This delicious and tasty is a great way to use rhubarb and spoil your family!
Rhubarb cream tart
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup butter or margarine, cut into small pieces
3/4 cup granulated sugar
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup half-and-half
2 cups 1/4-inch slices rhubarb
1/4 cup finely chopped walnuts
- Heat oven to 350ºF.
- Butter 9-inch square pan.
- Mix 1 1/2 cups flour and the brown sugar in medium bowl.
- Cut in butter, using pastry blender or crisscrossing 2 knives, until crumbly.
- Reserve 1/2 cup mixture for topping.
- Press remaining mixture on bottom and 1 1/2 inches up side of pan.
- Bake 15 minutes or until golden brown and set.
- Beat eggs with electric mixer on high speed 1 minute until lemon colored.
- Beat in sugar, 2 tablespoons flour, the salt and half-and-half.
- Sprinkle rhubarb over warm crust.
- Pour egg mixture over rhubarb.
- Add walnuts to reserved crumbly mixture; sprinkle over top.
- Bake 40 to 45 minutes or until set and knife inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool at least 2 hours before serving.
- Store covered in refrigerator.