Update: On August 25, 2013, Phoenix died from his injuries. Read more here.
The four-month-old kitten was taken to the South Sacramento Veterinary Hospital by the person who discovered the suffering feline. Since the burns were so severe, the person opted to take the little burned cat to the Front Street Animal Shelter to get professional care.
The shelter named the kitten Phoenix. Phoenix underwent surgery, and will need skin grafts. The kitten sustained severe burns to the hindquarter, ears and other areas of the body.
It is reported that days later and after being bathed, the kitten still smelled of gasoline.
This is not the first time a burned animal was seen by the Front Street Shelter. Already this year, a half dozen dogs with severe burn marks on their backs were brought in, according to Gina Knepp of the Front Street Shelter.
The burned kitten was discovered at Meadowglen Avenue at Manorside Drive in Sacramento.
Anyone with any information on the person or persons responsible for burning the kitten or any other animals in the Sacramento area is asked to contact Chief Animal Control Officer Dan Torres by calling 916-808-5855 or send an email to email@example.com.
A $5,000 reward has been issued by The Humane Society for information leading to the arrest and conviction of the person responsible.
Follow the Front Street Animal Shelter - City of Sacramento on Facebook.
To receive my future articles on other animal-related issues, please click on “Subscribe”. There is no cost to subscribe. You can also follow the Mansfield Animal Advocacy Examiner on Facebook.