Cannon testified that President Obama’s disregard of the Constitution and the lies concerning the implementation of Affordable Care Act (Obamacare) and its implications, and the consequences of Obama’s behavior, could lead to an armed revolt against the federal government.
Cannon stated that Obama’s actions were unprecedented by any president in acting to do as he pleases while Congress does nothing about it.
In the testimony, Cannon said, “There is one last thing to which the people can resort if the government does not respect the restrains that the constitution places on the government. Abraham Lincoln talked about our right to alter our government or our revolutionary right to overthrow it.”
“That is certainly something that no one wants to contemplate,” he continued. “If the people come to believe that the government is no longer constrained by the laws then they will conclude that neither are they.”
Cannon concluded, “That is a very dangerous sort of thing for the president to do, to wantonly ignore the laws, to try to impose obligation upon people that the legislature did not approve.”
Cannon referred to the Constitution, Article 2, Section 3 which reads:
“He shall from time to time give to the Congress information of the state of the union, and recommend to their consideration such measures as he shall judge necessary and expedient; he may, on extraordinary occasions, convene both Houses, or either of them, and in case of disagreement between them, with respect to the time of adjournment, he may adjourn them to such time as he shall think proper; he shall receive ambassadors and other public ministers; he shall take care that the laws be faithfully executed, and shall commission all the officers of the United States.”
In accordance with the Constitution and laws the president is required to follow, Cannon said, “President Obama has failed to execute those laws faithfully.”
Cannon also said that Obama’s actions and law making has more in common with a monarchy and not a democracy or a Constitutional Republic.
In September 2013, bestselling author Aaron Klein, released his latest book, “Impeachable Offenses: The Case to Remove Barack Obama from Office”, that lay out a number of criticisms of the president, including his handling of the attack on the U.S. consulate in Benghazi and his failure to ‘preserve, protect, and defend’ the Constitution.
It also includes the argument that the president’s health reform law is unconstitutional, even though the Supreme Court ruled more than a year ago that it is constitutional.
Among the some of the offenses enumerated in the book are:
- Obamacare not only is unconstitutional but illegally bypasses Congress, infringes on states’ rights and marking an unprecedented and unauthorized expansion of IRS power.
- Sidestepping Congress, Obama already has granted largely unreported de facto amnesty to millions of illegal aliens using illicit inter-agency directives and executive orders.
- The Obama administration recklessly endangered the public by releasing from prison criminal illegal aliens at a rate far beyond what is publicly known.
- The president’s personal role in the Sept. 11, 2012, Benghazi attack, with new evidence regarding what was transpiring at the U.S. mission prior to the assault – arguably impeachable activities in and of themselves.
- Illicit edicts on gun control in addition to the deadly “Fast and Furious” gun-running operation intended, the book shows, to collect fraudulent gun data.
- From “fusion centers” to data mining to drones to alarming Department of Homeland Security power grabs, how U.S. citizens are fast arriving at the stage of living under a virtual surveillance regime.
- New evidence of rank corruption, cronyism and impeachable offenses related to Obama’s first-term “green” funding adventures.
- The illegality of leading a U.S.-NATO military campaign without congressional approval.
Also on Tuesday, House Republicans conducted a largely academic investigation into the legal standards for impeaching a sitting president.