In a video posted Monday at the Western Center for Journalism, Col. Harry G. Riley (retired) explained the rationale for what he calls "Operation American Spring," a protest movement that has as its goal, the removal of Barack Obama and the restoration of Constitutional government, the rule of law, freedom and liberty "of the people, for the people, by the people" from what he calls a despotic and tyrannical federal leadership.
Col. Riley made six assumptions, which he listed on his website:
- Millions of Americans will participate.
- American veterans and patriots are energized to end the tyranny, lawlessness, and shredding of the US Constitution.
- Government is not the target, it is sound; corrupt and criminal leadership must be removed.
- Those in power will not hesitate to use force against unarmed patriots exercising their constitutional rights.
- Patriots may be killed, wounded, incarcerated.
- There is no hope given today’s technology of secrecy for the effort nor do we want it secret.
He also said the effort "will not be a cakewalk," but promised that "we plan to stay."
The effort is currently set to kick off on May 16, 2014 and will continue as long as necessary.
According to Col. Riley, the protest is broken down into three phases.
In the first phase, Col. Riley hopes to assemble millions -- perhaps as many as ten million -- of unarmed patriots who will assemble in a non-violent display of "unswerving loyalty to the US Constitution and against the incumbent government leadership, in Washington, D.C., with the mission to bring down the existing leadership."
The second phase, he adds, will consist of about a million protesters, perhaps assembled on a rotating basis in Washington, D.C., to ensure the removal of Barack Obama, Vice President Joe Biden, Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, D-Nev., Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell, R-Ky., House Speaker John Boehner, R-Ohio, House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif., and Attorney General Holder.
According to Col. Riley's site, the senior Republican in the House will become Speaker and the House will elect a temporary President and Vice President of the United States. The U.S. Senate, he added, will take action to elect a new majority and minority leader.
"As required, the U.S. Congress will execute appropriate legislation to convene new elections or U.S. States will appoint replacements for positions vacated consistent with established constitutional requirements," he added.
The third phase consists of investigations and tribunals to be conducted by those with the "principles" of people like former Rep. Allen West, Sen. Ted Cruz, Dr. Ben Carson and other conservative leaders.
According to the site, the tribunals and investigations will "recommend appropriate charges against politicians and government employees to the new U.S. Attorney General appointed by the new President."
All actions in the second and third phase, Col. Riley added, "will be consistent with the U.S. Constitution."
“We’re not suggesting that our government structure is bad," he said. "We’re not even suggesting that the principles which the Founding Fathers gave us are bad or wrong. What we’re saying is that the people who now occupy positions of power have betrayed the Constitution, have betrayed the Founding Father principles, and have betrayed 'We the People' in seeking power and greed in an incestuous operation in Washington."
The protest has caught the attention of left wing groups like the People for the American Way.
On Friday, Drew Courtney, communications director for the organization, discussed the protest with MSNBC's Al Sharpton, who claimed Col. Riley's rhetoric is now being used by the Republican Party.
But Col. Riley is undaunted by the criticism and has vowed to press on.
"We can either rise up or surrender," he said.
- Retired General: Military purges a real concern, Jarrett pulling the strings
- Author: Military 'purge' meant to weed out officers who won't fire on Americans
- Retired General calls for forced resignation of Obama, administration officials
- Obama refers to 'my military' at Medal of Honor ceremony (Video)
- Retired Army officer warns: DHS preparing for war against American citizens
- Renowned author: Obama wants military leaders who will fire on U.S. citizens
- Obama angers many with reference to 'my military' (Video)
- Barack Obama refers to 'my military' at G20 summit (Video)
- President Obama: Troops 'fighting on my behalf'
- Mark Levin warns: Obama preparing country for coup against Constitution
- Obama Executive Order would seize US infrastructure, citizens for nat'l defense