Merry Christmas! Today is Christmas Day, and while most people stay home for a Christmas turkey and ham dinner with family and friends, many people are looking for restaurants serving dinner on Christmas Day for various reasons. Students can't come home for the holidays, some are out of town on business meetings, Christmas snowstorms, or they have no family to share Christmas dinner with. Years ago, you could only find a handful of fast food restaurants open on Christmas Day. Things have changed. According to Patch on Tuesday, Dec. 24, there are many restaurants open on Christmas Day this year, but you may need to call ahead to check their Christmas store hours and availability because of individual franchises.
"Waffle House restaurants are always open! For Christmas Eve, for Christmas, for New Year’s Eve and New Year’s Day, for Hanukah, Kwanzaa, Boxing Day, and even for Festivus."
If you were hoping to have a sit down Christmas dinner at Olive Garden or Cracker Barrel, you're out of luck. Although open on Thanksgiving, these popular chain restaurants are unfortunately closed on Christmas Day, Dec. 25. Better make alternate plans and seek out one of the following restaurants open on Christmas. Don't despair though, most restaurants are serving your favorite meals, while other restaurants are going all out and serving traditional Christmas menus.
International Business Times on Dec. 23, claims many store hours will vary or close early so be sure to verify with your local branch.
Restaurants Open Christmas Day 2013
- Boston Market: 10:30 a.m. - 10 p.m, In participating restaurants, hours vary by location
- Denny's: Open 24/7 including Christmas
- Golden Corral: Most Golden Corral restaurants open, hours vary by location
- Home Town Buffet: 12 noon - to 6 p.m.
- Hooters: Store hours vary at individual Hooters locations
- IHOP: Many IHOP locations are open Christmas Day, hours vary
- Jack in the Box: Many restaurants open, though not all will be open 24 hours
- Old Country Buffet: 12 Noon - 6 p.m.
- Perkins Restaurant & Bakery: 6 a.m. - 5 p.m.
- Ruby Tuesday: Not all locations open on Christmas Day, hours vary by location
- Shoney's: All locations will be open on Christmas Day, hours may vary at individual locations
- Sizzler: Many locations open Christmas Day, hours may vary at individual locations
- Starbucks: Most Starbucks locations will be open, store hours will vary
- Steak 'n Shake: Most locations open at 11 a.m.
- Waffle House: 24-hour locations open regular hours. Every Waffle House restaurant is open 24 hours, 365 days a year.
The following restaurant chains are likely to be open on Christmas Day. Store hours and availability varies by location and franchises. It would be best to call first before driving out.
- Buffalo Wild Wings
- Burger King
- Chart House
- Domino's Pizza
- Dunkin Donuts
- Panda Express
- Pizza Hut
- Taco Bell
- TGI Friday's
Soucres: International Business Times; Patch
Photo Credit: Restaurants Open on Christmas Day, December 25, 2013; Wikimedia Commons