Capcom's latest entry into one of its most popular series of games is on sale this week at both Best Buy and Amazon for 20 bucks. Resident Evil 6 only came out four months ago and was met with a surprisingly cold reception by both gamers and die-hard Resident Evil fans alike.
What was one of Capcom's most highly anticipated games of last year turned out to be a disappointment to most gamers. While it did sell 4.8 million copies, that number was still about a million copies under Capcom's sales projections according to an article that IGN's Colin Moriarty recently wrote here.
So where did Capcom go wrong as to have one of their flagship titles go down $40 in price in a measly four months? Most say that the reason is because of them shifting the series to a more action oriented style of gameplay that has been around since Resident Evil 4's creation.
IGN Blogger Erik Gerolaga agrees that Resident Evil 6 focuses way too much on action and doesn't include nearly enough of the scary jump-out-of-your-seat moments that made past Resident Evil titles so great. He states that about 33% of Resident Evil 6 is comprised of these moments while the other 67% focuses on action and drama. Even Resident Evil 4 and 5, both known for their action oriented gameplay, had significantly more scary moments than Resident Evil 6 ever did.
Now I haven't fully played through the game yet, but I can back up Erik on his claim. It just seems to me that Capcom got distracted while they were making Resident Evil 6 and forgot what made all of their titles so great in the first place. They came up with new "intuitive" gameplay mechanics that they thought would improve the game, but instead hindered it.
Capcom wanted to build a new Resident Evil game from the ground up that fans would talk about for years, but instead they have created a title that turned out to be a dud. Even with all the marketing and advertising that was done for Resident Evil 6, the game sold far less than expected.
So now that Resident Evil 6 is only $19.99 is it worth picking up? If you don't already own the game is this 20 dollar price point reason enough for you to give it a shot? This is the lowest price that its ever been on sale for, so if you've been holding out now might be the time to jump on board.