Counting calories, cutting carbohydrates and keeping up with your calisthenics can get monotonous. Now a new study offers a way to spice up your diet doldrums. Researchers have discovered that sex can be counted as a "significant" form of exercise, reported the Daily Express on Jan. 8.
Conducted in Canada, the study showed that you can burn as many calories in an hour of making love as in a 30-minute jog:
- Men burn 120 calories during 30 minutes of sex.
- Women burn 90 calories.
To conduct the study, University of Quebec researchers analyzed 20 couples who were told to have sex once a week for a month and jog on a treadmill for 30 minutes. The couples wore fitness trackers to determine the precise number of calories burned.
And when compared to other activities, researchers reported that sex is better for burning calories than taking a walk.
Want more ways to burn calories outside the gym? Try these:
- Do housework for 30 minutes to burn 266 calories.
- Vanderbilt University Medical Center researchers discovered that laughing for 10 to 15 minutes a day burns 40 calories.
- Sing to burn 136 calories an hour.
- Go shopping or clean out your closet and focus on changing clothes. Each time, you're burning 11 calories per garment.
And for ways to improve your weight loss that are diet-related:
- Drink eight pints of iced water to burn 123 extra calories (the amount needed to heat that water up to body temperature).
- Eat in front of a mirror. Researchers discovered that people ate one-third less food if they had to watch themselves eat.