Ice cube trays are an item in a lot of household because freezers used to come with them so families could make ice. Nowadays with all the new technology built into the modern freezers these trays have become obsolete. Because many people hate to throw out things that have or had a purpose they get pushed back in a closet, cupboard or on a shelf in the pantry or basement because they think they’ll use them another time and that time never seems to come forward. Now for everyone who has saved old ice cube trays there are fun and useful ways to put them back into use for you and see just what kind of potential they have while opening ideas up to your imagination even if you never make ice with them ever again.
Fun uses for old ice cube trays:
- Place a sheet of plastic wrap over the entire top of the ice cube tray. Then when you make pesto sauce and have too much left over and don’t want to waste it just fill the ice cube sections of the tray and flash freeze it. Once frozen remove the tray and place the pesto ice cubes into a sealable bag or container. Mark the container with the name and date and store in the freezer. Then when you want o add a little or a lot of pesto sauce to dishes you can take out a cube or two to defrost without wasting the sauce.
- Fill the ice cube tray with lemon juice. Many people don’t care for just plain water and want a little added flavor. Once the cubes are frozen transfer them to a plastic bag and seal it. Then when you want a glass of lemon water just remove one cube of lemon juice and enjoy a refreshing glass of water.
- Fill the ice cube tray with left-over wine and when you make a pot of tomato sauce or another dish that needs a little boost just drop in a cube of wine for added flavor. You can also add one to a glass the same wine if you purchase another bottle another time. Now you will never water down your wine or spritzer while keeping it cool on ice since when the cube melts it is just frozen wine and won’t dilute your drink.
- Use an ice cube tray as a snack tray for children. Place berries, nuts, crackers, small pretzels or cubes of cheese for an after school snack or Saturday lunch treat.
- Place an ice cube tray in your desk drawer and keep those little supplies in order. Thumb tacks, push pins, paper clips, staples, erasers or a roll of stamps can now be organized and easy to find when you need one or two of those office supplies.
- Pour Aloe Vera gel into ice cube trays and freeze them. Then when you get terrible sunburn you can not only soothe the burn with Aloe Vera but also get a chillier soothe from the frozen gel. Once the gel is frozen, pop them from the tray and place into a plastic bag. Then they will be handy whenever one is needed during the summer, swimming and tanning months.
- An ice cube tray is great to use as a tray when you are sewing. You can keep your thimble, thread, needles, measuring tape, marking chalk, embroidery thread or whatever else you may need to work on a project or repair a piece of clothing.
- What a cool idea to put an ice cube tray to use as a jewelry catcher either on the dresser or in a bureau drawer for a young girl or teenager. There are so many little things like, necklaces, beaded bracelets, earrings, pins and rings that just get lost that now can have a place of their own. Now your child can find those little things whenever they want to because they now have a home and can leave the dresser top free from clutter.
Have fun using something inexpensive that is in the house anyway - ice cube trays!
© 2014 Beverly Mucha / All Rights Reserved
Never miss another news, household tip or crafty story again! Subscribe to Beverly Mucha @ Home and Living Examiner and receive a free notification every time something new is published.
More reading topics from this author: