Republicans control the U.S. House of Representatives and they are using their power to spend millions of dollars of taxpayer money to help elect Republicans. This is against the law, but they are getting away with it. What is worse, they use taxpayer money to conduct a partisan witch hunt and then use it to fund raise for the Republican Party and their candidates, exploiting the deaths of Americans for political gain.
The only difference between this debacle and the Salem witch trials is the presence of TV cameras and social media.
Republicans have spent over $4 million on 13 separate Benghazi investigations so far, reviewed 25,000 pages of documents, and heard countless witnesses. In every investigation, there was no evidence of any cover-up. Now, just in time for the 2014 elections, Republicans have set up the 14th investigation. This is doing the same thing over and over again, hoping for a different result. But they are not insane, just devious and ruthless.
This obsession with Benghazi is on top of the millions of taxpayer dollars Republicans have spent on partisan investigations into the IRS non-scandal and other witch hunts. If we are going to beat a dead horse with taxpayer money, let’s at least be non-partisan in the selection of the dead horse; otherwise, let the Republican Party fund the spectacle.
Taxpayers should not pay for this latest debacle, the Republican Party should. It is nothing more than a political stunt to help fire up the Republican base, and discredit former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton. A new poll shows 63 percent of Americans believe it is political, not a real investigation.
Since Republicans say they are concerned about embassy bombings, then they should open investigations into the four bombing that happened under Ronald Reagan and the 13 that occurred under George W. Bush because Americans, died. Let’s also have another investigation into the attack on the Marine barracks in 1983 that occurred on Reagan’s watch because 299 U.S. Marines lost their lives.
Maybe we should open an investigation into the serious intelligence lapses and the Bush administration’s talking point manipulation surrounding the 911 attack since 3,000 lost their lives that day. Where is the Republicans’ disrespect for the dead in that one?
If something is worth doing once, it is worth doing 14 times, or 50 times if it is a vote to repeal Obamacare. That is the Republican way of governing.
Here is the record of recent Republican administrations on embassy bombings:
• April 18, 1983 bombing U.S. embassy Beirut: 66 dead, 17 Americans (Reagan)
• October 23, 1983 bombing Marine barracks Beirut: 266 dead (Reagan)
• December 12, 1983 bombing embassy Kuwait: 6 dead (Reagan)
• September 20, 1984 bombing embassy annex Beirut: 24 dead (Reagan)
• June 14, 2003, bombing U.S. consulate Karachi: 2 Marines injured (Bush)
• May 12, 2003, bombing U.S. compound Riyadh: 36 dead, 9 Americans (Bush)
• December 6, 2004, bombing U.S. Consulate Jeddah: 9 staff dead (Bush)
• March 2, 2006, bombing U.S. Consulate Karachi: U.S. Diplomat killed (Bush)
• September 12, 2006, storming U.S. embassy Damascus: 4 dead (Bush)
• September 17, 2008, attack U.S. embassy Yemen: 16 dead, 2 Americans (Bush)
What Republicans are doing is a sham, an abuse of power, a waste of taxpayer money and it is illegal. Since they are getting away with it, voters need to make them pay in November.