The air may be clearing in Washington DC, leaving room for negotiations, but it is still toxic with Republican bad behavior. According to a Washington Post report, “Obama is happy.”
List of reasons why Obama is “happy”:
- The default is averted for awhile, demonstrating an ounce of sense remains among House Republicans.
- Negotiating and discussing substantive problems and issues have always been in the cards, so finally getting there brings happiness.
List of reasons for mitigating happiness:
- Obamacare has enough trouble in implementation without the threat of defunding.
- Entitlements will be addressed as a problem, wheres Democrats want social services addressed as a requirement.
America is faced with certain needs. The only true way forward requires balance in solution development:
- Change some rules for entitlements.
- Increase revenues.
The only way to truly solve the problem is to change the American economic model to one that is sustainable, and today it is not.
“House Republican leaders said Thursday they will offer a temporary increase in the federal debt ceiling in exchange for negotiations with President Obama on longer-term “pressing problems,” but they stopped short of agreeing to end a government shutdown now in its 10th day.
In a news briefing following a closed-door meeting of House Republicans to present a plan to raise the debt limit for six weeks, House Speaker John A. Boehner (R-Ohio) said, “What we want to do is offer the president today the ability to move a temporary increase in the debt ceiling.” He described the offer, to be presented to Obama in a White House meeting with House Republicans on Thursday afternoon, as a “good-faith effort on our part to move halfway to what he’s demanded in order to have these conversations begin.”
Obama is “happy” that House Republicans agree a federal debt default is not an option, but he would prefer a longer extension of the debt limit, White House spokesman Jay Carney said.