Public memory is short and Republicans are counting on it. Take a look at the facts. Republicans gained control over the Congress and Senate in 1995 and retained their control through 2006 except for a brief period in 2001 when Senator Jim Jeffords became an Independent. With Republican President George Bush in the White House, and a Republican Congress and Republican Senate, America witnessed some major changes:
- President George Bush with the help of a Republican Congress and the Senate managed to blow up the small budget surplus of $235 billion left by Clinton and increase the deficit to $700 billion in 2008. Net effect – Republicans overspent $1 trillion dollar before the Obama administration.
- Outstanding national debt increased from $5.6 trillion in 2000 to $10 trillion in 2008. Net effect – National debt doubled.
- Unemployment rate jumped from 4%, the lowest since 1980, to 5.8%. Net effect – Unemployment increased by 50%.
- America has seen biggest US Intelligence failure since Pearl Harbor, when terrorists launched their airplane attacks on 9/11. If anyone wants to put some blame on Clinton for the attacks as the terrorists did indeed start planning way before George Bush became President, then President Clinton should also be given credit for budget surplus, booming economy, and the lowest unemployment in decades. Net effect – First terrorist attack on American soil killing nearly 3,000 people.
- Instead of bringing the terrorist responsible for 9/11 to justice, George Bush started the war against Iraq based on lies and deceit. Net effect – Bin Laden is still alive. Over 4,400 Americans and 100,000 Iraqi civilians are dead.
- US Defense Secretary Rumsfeld described Germany and France as problems and old Europe regarding their position about US war against Iraq. Net effect – US insults long time friends and alienates them. The US standing in the world will never be the same.
- America set a dangerous precedent by starting war against Iraq in violation of UN. Net effect – America loses its moral authority to question anyone who violates UN resolutions.
- Hurricane Katrina, one of the deadliest hurricanes in the history of America hit in 2005 killing over 1,800 people. Net effect – Cronyism was at its high during Bush administration. FEMA deputy director, Michael Brown appointed by President Bush was totally unqualified and clueless during relief efforts, which made the US look like a third world country.
President George Bush, with the support of his party, managed to destroy America in a way there is simply no comparison. President Obama stepped into this vehicle going downhill at full speed with no brakes or steering control. Republicans in the Senate failed to help fix the problem and instead are actually trying to cause an “accident” so it will look bad on the “driver.”
This is not patriotism. This is selfishness. Republican pledge to America is a joke. Their idea of reducing the deficit is like the devil quoting Scripture.