There will be no charges filed against 49ers WR Michael Crabtree, according to a report by CSN Bay Area. Crabtree was investigated by the San Francisco Police Department last week two days prior to the NFC Championship game for an alleged sexual assault.
Crabtree was believed to have sexually assaulted a woman hours after the 49ers defeated the Green Bay Packers at a hotel in San Francisco. Two women who were in the hotel said the alleged assault didn't happen. Crabtree's lawyer said he fully cooperated with authorities during the investigation. He voluntarily spoke with the police before the team left for Atlanta.
San Francisco District Attorney George Gascon released the following statement on Friday:
“The San Francisco Police Department - Special Victims Unit completed and submitted a thorough investigation of the allegations against Michael Crabtree. Following a review of all the evidence, my office has determined that no charges will be filed against Michael Crabtree at this time."
Crabtree is the 49ers' leading receiver with 1,105 receiving yards and nine touchdowns in the regular season. Last Sunday, he had six receptions for 57 yards against the Atlanta Falcons in the NFC Championship game.
In response to this, the 49ers general manager Trent Baalke released the following statement:
“We are pleased to learn of the San Francisco District Attorney’s announcement following a thorough review of the matter. Michael and the team can now put this behind us and move forward.”