According to a Feb. 2 report from MMA Junkie, hard-hitting Brazilian striker Jose Aldo (24-1 MMA, 6-0 UFC) retained the UFC featherweight strap with a unanimous decision victory (49-46, 49-46, 49-46) over Ricardo Lamas (13-3) in the UFC 169 co-main.
Aldo, 27, outclassed Lamas with leg kicks and punches through much of the first four rounds, before narrowly escaping defeat in the final frame.
Lamas found himself in top position as time wound down in the fifth round, and Aldo came close to getting sliced open with a glancing elbow.
However, Aldo survived the round and earned the nod on the judges' scorecards.
Faber believed it was an early stoppage, but he was classy in defeat.
He explained that he understands ref Herb Dean is one of the best in the fight game and that its his job to let fighters live to fight another fight.
Clearly it was a great night for the Brazilians, as both Aldo and Barao will go back to their homeland as champs.
UFC 169 featured a record-breaking 10 decisions, but Abel Trujillo's knockout of Jamie Varner helped fight fans forget about the lack of epic finishes.
Trujillo's knockout blow came at the 2:32 mark of the second round.
Also on the UFC 169 main card, Alistair Overeem battered former UFC heavyweight champ Frank Mir with knees to the body for much of their three-round battle.
Overeem earned a unanimous decision victory and then called out Brock Lesnar.
Here's a look at the full UFC 169 results:
- Renan Barao def. Urijah Faber, TKO (Round 1, 3:42)
- Jose Aldo def. Ricardo Lamas, Unanimous decision (49-46, 49-46, 49-46)
- Alistair Overeem def. Frank Mir, Unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
- Ali Bagautinov def. John Lineker, Unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
- Abel Trujillo def. Jamie Varner, Knockout (Round 2, 2:32)
Fox Sports 1 Prelims
- Alan Patrick def. John Makdessi, Unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 30-27)
- Chris Cariaso def. Danny Martinez, Unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
- Nick Catone def. Tom Watson, Split decision (29-28, 28-29, 30-27)
- Al Iaquinta def. Kevin Lee, Unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 28-27)
UFC Fight Pass Prelims
- Clint Hester def. Andy Enz, Unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-26)
- Rashid Magomedov def. Tony Martin, Unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
- Neil Magny def. Gasan Umalatov, Unanimous decision (29-28, 30-27, 30-27)