Many of you have grown up in Fort Worth. You know it as Cowtown, Where the West Begins, home of cowboys and culture and many of you have great remembrances of how the city was and what was there before what is there now.
What this Examiner has done is to compile a list of my favorite remembrances of my hometown:
1. Santa Claus being on the side of Mrs. Baird’s Bread factory at Summit and Interstate 30
2. Leonard Brothers Department Store downtown which later became the Tandy Towers
3. Riding the M&O Subway to Leonard’s Department Store
4. Pioneer Palace on what is now the Will Rogers Complex (showing my age!)
5. Lone Star (on Camp Bowie) and Carlson’s (on University Dr.) Drive-In Restaurants
6. The line-up of department stores downtown
7. Furniture Stores downtown
b. Fakes & Co.
8. Frank Kent Cadillac downtown next to the T&P Railroad Station
9. Montgomery Ward’s Department Store now Montgomery Plaza
10. Worth Hills Golf Course now houses Greek Hill at TCU and various athletic complexes
I know everyone who has grown up in Fort Worth or have been here for any length of time has their favorite spots of what was in Fort Worth. If your list is different than mine send to me and let’s remember Cowtown together.