An article in Enterprise Ideas, an e-business solutions website, attempts to establishing seven ways a salesperson can connect a customer to a sale. Many sales mentors are emphatic there were only two reasons people ever buy a product or service. Analyzing the seven triggers mentioned reemphasizes that there are only two reasons people depart with their money.
As the article states, people want to make more money and save more money. It also points out that they want to save time but fails to acknowledge they also want to make time available for activities other than those currently occupying their minutes and seconds. A salesperson cannot help someone make more money any more than they can help them make more time.
Obviously a salesperson can help someone save time and/or money but they are not actually selling that savings. Instead what a salesperson is doing is providing a solution to the problem that is preventing the person from making or saving your time or money.
In fact, a great salesperson is one that empathetically relates the customer’s problems and comes up with very specific ways to solve those problems. So when you look at the items mentioned in the article you can group several of them together as solutions to problems.
The other item the people by is good feelings. Making someone feel more attractive, helping them build their confidence through new skills or creating a state of mind where they feel if they will live a long and healthy life will all achieve the sales goal of providing good feelings.
Salespeople should think first and foremost about the solutions to their customer’s problems and ways to make the customer feel good about themselves, their family and their legacy.
©2014 Max Impact, used with permission.
Additional Cultural Resources
- Culture Bridges are a look at the contents of the character within each of us. Information is contained on more than 20 different categories of culture.
- Cultural Faux Pas is an interesting quiz about marketing mistakes made by others.
- Culture Quizzes allow you to test your cultural IQ with fun and informative quizzes.
Marketing by the numbers
- 10 Marketing Secrets All Business Owners Must Know that coaches and marketing experts wo not tell you!
- 15 Marketing Trends In 2013, and how your business can use them.
- 57 Hot Business Marketing Strategies: offline and online marketing techniques, tips and tricks from successful entrepreneurs
- 500 Social Media Marketing Tips: essential advice, hints and strategy for business about Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Google+, YouTube, Instagram, LinkedIn and more!