This is part of a series to help managers and human resources professionals to understand the various religions in the workplace. Based on the Religion Culture Bridge and used with permission from Max Impact,
The Bahá'í faith is a religion founded by Bahá'u'lláh in 19th-century Persia, emphasizing the spiritual unity of all humankind. There are around six million Bahá'ís in more than 200 countries and territories around the world.
According to Bahá'í teachings, religious history has unfolded through a series of God's messengers who brought teachings suited for the capacity of the people at their time, and whose fundamental purpose is the same. Bahá'u'lláh is regarded as the most recent, but not final, in a line of messengers that includes Abraham, Buddha, Jesus, Muhammad and others. Bahá'u'lláh's claim to fulfill the eschatological promises of previous scriptures coincides with his mission to establish a firm basis for unity throughout the world, and
inaugurate an age of peace and justice, which Bahá'ís expect will inevitably arise.
Bahá'í can be an adjective referring to the Bahá'í Faith, or used as a term for a follower of Bahá'u'lláh. (Bahá'í is not a noun, meaning the religion as a whole.) The word comes from the Arabic word Bahá’ meaning "glory" or "splendour". "Bahaism" (or "Baha'ism") has been used in the past but is fading from use.
Predominant religions of the world
- Christian 33.03% of the world’s population
- Islam (Muslim) 20.12%
- Hinduism 13.34%
- Buddhism 5.89%
- Atheism 2.36%
- Sikhism 0.39%
- Judaism 0.23%
- Baha’i n/a
This is an excerpt from the Religion Culture Bridge which is part of the Culture Bridges available from Max Impact, a Rochester Hills, Mich., based leadership development and business strategy website offering a host of complimentary information. © Max Impact, used by permission.
Additional workplace culture resources
- Culture Bridges are a look at the contents of the character within each of us. Information is contained on more than 20 different categories of culture.
- Cultural Faux Pas is an interesting quiz about marketing mistakes made by others.
- Culture Quizzes allow you to test your cultural IQ with fun and informative quizzes.
Leading workplace culture books
- Performance Culture provides a simplified approach to create a company culture that has proven to work
- The Great Workplace shows how to build and keep a great workplace and the benefits of doing so.
- Change the Culture, Change the Game offers a breakthrough strategy for energizing an organization and creating accountability for top results.