This is part of a series to help managers and human resources professionals to understand the various religions in the workplace. Based on the Religion Culture Bridge and used with permission from Max Impact,
A Christian is a person who adheres to Christianity, a monotheistic religion centered on the life and teachings of Jesus of Nazareth as presented in the New Testament. The core belief is that Jesus is the Son of God and the Messiah prophesied in the Old Testament.
According to Christians, Christ is a member of the Holy Trinity (three in one) along with the Holy Spirit and God Himself. He willingly took the form and body of man to provide himself as a living sacrifice for the salvation of mankind. He was crucified and rose again three days later and is seated at the right hand of his Father, God.
Christianity has the largest following, however is aligned with two major groups, Catholicism and Protestant, with the Protestant group into thousands of smaller groups. Catholics believe that a single “prophet”, the Pope, is the person closest to God on Earth and God reveals thing to the Pope who is responsible to show Christians how to remain faithful. Protestants belief that God reveals Himself to individuals who are able to have a direct relationship through Jesus Christ and also that prayers are intercepted and interpreted by the Holy Spirit.
Predominant religions of the world
- Christian 33.03% of the world’s population
- Islam (Muslim) 20.12%
- Hinduism 13.34%
- Buddhism 5.89%
- Atheism 2.36%
- Sikhism 0.39%
- Judaism 0.23%
- Baha’i n/a
This is an excerpt from the Religion Culture Bridge which is part of the Culture Bridges available from Max Impact, a Rochester Hills, Mich., based leadership development and business strategy website offering a host of complimentary information. © Max Impact, used by permission.
Additional workplace culture resources
- Culture Bridges are a look at the contents of the character within each of us. Information is contained on more than 20 different categories of culture.
- Cultural Faux Pas is an interesting quiz about marketing mistakes made by others.
- Culture Quizzes allow you to test your cultural IQ with fun and informative quizzes.
Leading workplace culture books
- Performance Culture provides a simplified approach to create a company culture that has proven to work
- The Great Workplace shows how to build and keep a great workplace and the benefits of doing so.
- Change the Culture, Change the Game offers a breakthrough strategy for energizing an organization and creating accountability for top results.