This is part of a series to help managers and human resources professionals to understand the various religions in the workplace. Based on the Religion Culture Bridge and used with permission from Max Impact,
Rohatsu, the eighth day of the twelfth lunar month, is a time when Zen Buddhists commemorate the Buddha's enlightenment.
Beginning on December 1st, the period ends on December 8, known as Bodhi Day or Rohatsu Day.
Rohatsu is a period during which Buddhists reflect on the prior year in intensive silent meditation. Buddhist monks will spend this time in a meditation hall known as dojo.
Enlightenment and Nirvana
It was during meditation, or enlightenment, the Buddha saw things clearly for the first time. It was this period that brought an end to his suffering and destroyed inward taints and defilements.
Nirvana can be attained during this meditation period. The perfect peace of nirvana completely replaces hatred and greed.
The Buddha realized the pathway to nirvana and decided to share with the world.
The Morning Star
The Buddha's experience is the basis for the 8 day period. It is believed the Buddha gained enlightenment at the moment the morning star rose on the eight day of the twelfth lunar month. Likewise, monks will stay awake on the night of December 7th, meditating intensely and thereby emulating the Buddha's own enlightenment experience.
Predominant religions of the world
- Christian 33.03% of the world’s population
- Islam (Muslim) 20.12%
- Hinduism 13.34%
- Buddhism 5.89%
- Atheism 2.36%
- Sikhism 0.39%
- Judaism 0.23%
- Baha’i n/a
This is an excerpt from the Religion Culture Bridge which is part of the Culture Bridges available from Max Impact, a Rochester Hills, Mich., based leadership development and business strategy website offering a host of complimentary information. © Max Impact, used by permission.
Additional workplace culture resources
- Culture Bridges are a look at the contents of the character within each of us. Information is contained on more than 20 different categories of culture.
- Cultural Faux Pas is an interesting quiz about marketing mistakes made by others.
- Culture Quizzes allow you to test your cultural IQ with fun and informative quizzes.
Leading workplace culture books
- Performance Culture provides a simplified approach to create a company culture that has proven to work
- The Great Workplace shows how to build and keep a great workplace and the benefits of doing so.
- Change the Culture, Change the Game offers a breakthrough strategy for energizing an organization and creating accountability for top results.