The Wall Street Journal ran an item yesterday about a small Alaskan town whose mayor over the past 16 years has a been a house cat. Maybe we should try electing furry friends to positions of power in D.C. because the current arrangement just isn’t working.
A number of sources are reporting this morning that Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell’s deal with Majority Leader Harry Reid included a $3 billion- dollar “donation” to McConnell’s home state of Kentucky. You wouldn’t know it by reading the relevant language in the draft of the agreement, which in Section 23 states:
Section 3(a)(6) of Public Law 100-676 is amended by striking both occurrences of ‘$775,000,000’ and inserting in lieu thereof, ‘$2,918,000,000.’
Louisville radio station WFPL explains that the provision increases funding for a dam (damn?) project in Paducah from $775 million to more than $2.9 billion. A video report on the project (which can be viewed here) notes that it’s been in the works since 1993.
The station, which identifies itself as “part of the NPR digital network,” goes on to note that the dam is an important project for the state and region. I don’t doubt that it is but nevertheless come away with a bad taste in my mouth knowing that it is business as usual inside the Beltway.
Matt Hoskins, executive director of a grassroots organization called the State Conservatives Fund, compares the McConnell sellout to the “Cornhusker Kickback” that Nebraska Senator Ben Nelson received in exchange for his vote on Obamacare, then adds:
This is an insult to Kentucky families who don't want to pay for Obamacare and who don't want to shoulder any more debt.
One of the comments following the article reads, “Just made my first $50 donation to Matt Bevin, primary challenger for Mitch McConnell.” The money might be better spent grooming a feline for the job.
- President Obama wants a ‘multibillion-dollar bailout’ for the FHA
- Traffic at Obamacare website falls off 88% since Oct. 1 rollout
- ‘Subsidy Summit’ seeks political juice for electric carmakers
- 15 pix of ridiculous government waste
- CA prison inmates can move to nicer digs … for $155 a night
- Government waste through fraud: Federal employees file phony disability claims
- Outrage: Prison inmates collect unemployment benefits
- Prison poetry website awarded $75,000 NEA grant
- Feds drop $10K on pole dance lessons for telephone linemen
- Feds spending $880,000 to study SNAIL SEX!?!? Your tax dollars at work
- Your tax dollars at work: $384,949 to study duck ‘ding-dongs’
- 41% of ‘Obama phone’ recipients can’t prove eligibility (Photos)
- Taxpayers drop $152,500 on ‘voice therapy’ for transsexuals