As we approach the labor day weekend, it is not too early to start thing about the Christmas holiday shopping season.
REI is offering the Garmin Oregon model 450 for a special price of $249.99 as part of their annual Labor day sale. This is a 37% savings off the regular $400 MSRP.
Features of the Oregon 450 are:
- 3-axis compass features 3 magnetic sensors that provide precise angle compensation, magnetic field correction and automatic terrestrial magnetic compensation
- Enhanced, sunlight-readable screen offers crystal-clear colors and high-resolution images
- Easy, intuitive touchscreen operation is fun and simple to use
- Enjoy vibrant 3D ''walk the trail'' maps with Topo 2008 mapping software, sold separately
- Enhance your view and understanding of your surroundings by adding Garmin BirdsEye Satellite Imagery (annual subscription card sold separately)
- Waterproof MicroSD™ card slot for storing additional data; accepts Garmin MapSource® and BlueChart® data cards and software
- Built-in barometric altimeter provides additional navigational aid
- Supports Geocaching.com GPX files for downloading detailed geocache descriptions, terrain, difficulty and hints directly into GPS unit
- Groundspeak's Wherigo Player application comes preinstalled and includes instructional tutorial; learn more at www.wherigo.com
- Built-in basemap with 850 MB built-in memory stores up to 1,000 waypoints, 200 routes and 20 tracks with up to 10,000 points; Digital Elevation Model shading enhances map view
- Enjoy effortless sharing of waypoints, tracks, routes and geocache locations between Oregon and Colorado series units with ANT wireless communication function
- High sensitivity receiver and HotFix™ satellite prediction provide rapid first fix and help maintain signal, even in urban canyons and under dense foliage
- WAAS (Wide Area Augmentation System) enabled receiver delivers accuracy to within 10 ft. in North America
- Offers configurable profiles for end use: auto, marine, recreation, fitness and geocaching
- Operates on 2 AA batteries (sold separately)
- Rugged, waterproof construction protects unit from bumps, dust and moisture; meets IEC 60529 lPX7 standards (can be submerged 1m for up to 30 min.)
- Compatible with Garmin heart rate monitors and GSC 10 Speed and Cadence Sensor, sold separately
- Features JPG image viewer, outdoor GPS games, hunt/fish calendar and sun/moon/tide data
- The Garmin Oregon 450 GPS includes USB interface cable, carabiner clip and quick start guide
This is a great bargain for the geocacher on your Christmas list
Pressing the subscribe button above will keep you informed of new articles from this Examiner.
More information on geocaching is found on the Centennial State Geocaching Podcast.