Pound cakes are a well-loved mouthwatering dessert here in the south. Our grandma's passed their favorite old-fashioned pound cake recipes down to their daughters and granddaughters. A Red Velvet Pound Cake makes for a unique and tasty tweak for the old-fashioned pound cakes. The cream cheese icing, and the red velvet pound cake, is not only a delicious duo, but also a most eye-pleasing treat. The aroma of the red velvet pound cake baking in the oven, fills your home with the coziness and comfort of your grandma's kitchen.
Red Velvet Pound Cake
- 3 cups sugar
- 3/4 cups shortening
- 6 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 cups flour
- 1 cup milk
- 2 (1 ounce) bottles red food coloring
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Cream sugar and shortening in bowl and add eggs, one at a time, and beat after each addition. Add vanilla and mix.
- Add 1/4 teaspoon salt, flour, and milk and alternate each, beginning and ending with flour. Add food coloring and beat until smooth.
- Bake in sprayed and floured tube pan for 1 hour 30 minutes. Or until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean.
- Set aside in pan for 10 minutes. Remove from pan. Cool completely and frost.
- 1 (16 ounce) box powdered sugar
- 1 (3 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 3 tablespoons milk
- Red Sprinkles
- Beat powdered sugar, cream cheese, butter, and milk in bowl and mix well. Frost cake and top with a few red sprinkles.
If desired you may substitute your favorite store bought cream cheese frosting.