Quinoa is one of the healthiest grains around, as it is a plant based protein. This makes it an ideal choice for vegetarians or vegans. This ancient grain was cultivated as many as 5000 years ago, in the Andes Mountains of South America.
Combining roasted vegetables and zesty tuna flavored with chipotle chile pepper, makes this salad ideal for an entree or a side dish.
This recipe is from Chef Scott Leibfried, a celebrity chef featured on the Fox Television series "Hell's Kitchen" and "Kitchen Nightmares." Chef Leibfried suggests serving your Red Quinoa with Chipotle Tuna and Vegetables with a glass of sparkling wine or sangria.
- 1 can (5 oz) Bumble Bee® Prime Fillet Gourmet Flavors Albacore Tuna with Chipotle and Olive Oil (do not drain)
- 1/2 cup red quinoa
- 1/4 cup cherry or plum tomatoes
- 8 asparagus spears, cut into 1" pieces
- 2 mini sweet peppers, sliced in rings
- 1/2 zucchini, chopped
- 1/2 cup eggplant, diced
- 1 teaspoon fresh oregano, lightly chopped
- 2 radishes, sliced
- 2 tablespoons + 2 teaspoons sherry vinegar
- 2 tablespoons + 2 1/2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 teaspoons each fresh basil, green onions and mint, thinly sliced (optional garnish)
- Heat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Line a baking sheet with foil.
- Cook quinoa according to package directions. Allow the quinoa to cool to warm.
- Combine the tomatoes, asparagus, peppers, zucchini, eggplant, oregano and radishes in a medium mixing bowl. Mix together with 2 teaspoons sherry vinegar and 2 1/2 teaspoons olive oil.
- Season with salt and pepper, pour onto the prepared baking sheet.
- Roast the vegetables for 15 minutes, then turn the oven setting to broil.
- Broil the vegetables 5 minutes, until lightly browned.
- Combine the vegetables, quinoa and tuna in a mixing bowl. If using, add half the garnishes.
- Drizzle with 2 tablespoons each sherry vinegar and olive oil. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Place salad onto a serving dish, and top with remaining optional garnishes.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.