Although exercise is important for a healthy lifestyle, nutrition and diet are equally important in maintaining bone health. Potassium is an important food sources to build strong, healthy bones.
Bone Strength Smoothie
Several foods (lima beans, Swiss chard, sweet potato, spinach, papaya) contain high potassium levels, important for neutralizing acids in the body that contribute to bone loss when they eat away at bone tissue. Consuming large amounts of tomatoes or citrus might contribute to high acidic levels.
By extracting healthy foods into a nutritious smoothie, they are turned into a maximum absorption food source for the body!
Directions for a Bone Strength Smoothie:
Add the following ingredients, in the order provided, to your blender or extractor.
Blend to desired consistency:
- ½ banana
- 1 cup papaya
- ½ orange
- ¼ cup pumpkin seeds
- 2 Tbls raw cacao
- 1 handful mustard greens
- 1 handful turnip greens
- 10 cashews
- 4-5 ice-cubes (optional)
• Add water to achieve desired consistency.
• Dark, leafy green vegetables are high in fiber; they are an excellent source for the relief of constipation or hemorrhoids.
• CAUTION: If you are experiencing an agitated digestive system, the fiber content in whole fruits and vegetables may add further stress. However, by extracting plant foods it can aid in replenishing nutrients lost in diarrhea while making it easier for your body to break down the food sources and absorb them quickly.
• For diabetic or weight issues, ingesting more high fiber fruits, vegetables, and legumes (leafy greens, cabbage, berries, asparagus, Brussels sprouts, apples, and beans) help combat free radicals.
• Soluble fiber (once in the intestines) slows the absorption of sugars in the blood – allowing the body to feel full and limiting insulin spikes.
• Always consult your physician if you have special diet or health related issues.
For additional information and local places to shop for healthy foods, click on any of the following links:
• Boise Co-Op
• Whole Foods Market
• Brown Box Organics
• The Organic Store Locator
• Learn more about the health benefits of raw cacoa by clicking on the link in this sentence.
• Learn more about the benefits of fiber by clicking on the WebMD link in this sentence.
From my home to yours: another favorite recipe - enjoyed with nutrition in mind.