Imagine this: You and your child/grandchild get up early Saturday morning to go pick strawberries.
Neither of you enjoy eating breakfast when you first arise so you’ve built up an appetite prior to going to your favorite strawberry patch. Your spouse has promised a special breakfast for the two of you once you get home and get cleaned up, but reminds you to bring home plenty of berries as some of them will be needed for what is being planned for you.
You and your fellow strawberry picker arrive home, turn over the strawberries and head off to get cleaned up for breakfast now that you’ve both built up an appetite. By the time you return, there they sit – a whopping platter of strawberry vanilla pancakes. You sit down, thinking, This is even better than the early bird getting the worm…, smile, and dig in. (Recipe below)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup chopped fresh strawberries
- In a medium bowl, stir together the flour, brown sugar, baking powder and salt.
- Pour in the milk, oil, egg and vanilla, and mix until well blended.
- Stir in the strawberries.
- Heat a large skillet or griddle over medium heat, and coat with butter or cooking spray.
- Pour batter into desired size of pancakes.
- Flip with a spatula when bubbles appear in the center.
- Cook until golden brown on the other side.