This recipe for simple chicken stew is a BETTER for YOU recipe which arrived in a ValPak mailing on the flip side of a coupon for extra virgin olive oil. Ironically, the recipe does not call for olive oil.
- ½ medium onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, sliced
- 4 carrots, chopped
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1” chunks
- 4 cups chicken broth (low sodium)
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 pinch sage
- 8 small red potatoes, halved
- 2 cups green beans, trimmed
- 1 (8.5 ounce) can peas
- black pepper to taste
- In a large saucepan, add the onion, garlic, carrots, chicken, broth, thyme and sage. Cook on low heat for 1 hour.
- Add potatoes, green beans and peas. Continue cooking for 1 ½ hours.
- Ensure chicken and potatoes are fully cooked.
- When done, season with pepper, to taste, and serve.
Slow Cooker Directions:
Combine all ingredients in a slow cooker. Cook on low for 8 hours, or cook on high for 4 hours.
Improve the Stew:
Add hearty root vegetables for more vitamins and fiber.