For many students, spring vacation officially begins tomorrow. For one wonderful week, there will be time to eat real breakfasts before leaving the house instead of grabbing a piece of toast, a pop tart, or donut on your way out the door.
Perhaps you can convince either your mom or dad to mix up this recipe for Jay’s Hearty Breakfast Skillet at least one of the mornings you are home. Afterwards, you might even be able to get one of them to make it on weekends now and then.
- 2 pounds potatoes, cubed
- ½ pound bacon
- 1 green bell pepper, sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced
- 1 onion sliced
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 3 cups shredded American cheese
- 8 eggs
- salt and pepper to taste
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil.
- Add potatoes. Cook until tender, but still firm (12 – 15 minutes); drain.
- Place bacon in a large, deep skillet. Cook over medium high heat until evenly brown. Cut into small chunks; set aside.
- Place potatoes in skillet. Cook on medium heat until browned. Flip potatoes occasionally to prevent sticking.
- Stir in green pepper, red pepper, onion and mushrooms. Cook until vegetables are tender.
- Stir in cooked bacon. Season with salt and pepper.
- Cover with shredded cheese – turn mixture until cheese is melted.
- Keep on low heat while cooking eggs.
- Cook eggs to your preferred style. Place potatoes in a large serving dish, and top with eggs (2 per serving).