October is here, bringing with it a nip in the air. Thoughts begin turning to pumpkins, hayrides and fall decorations as Halloween approaches.
In the Tidewater area, patrons have numerous farms to choose from in order to enjoy the fall sights and to purchase pumpkins. These are noted in alphabetical order below:
Bergey’s Breadbasket – 2207 Mount Pleasant Road, Chesapeake, VA 23322. Phone: (757) 546 – 9225
Brookdale Farm & Market – 2133 Mount Pleasant Road, Chesapeake, VA 23322. Phone: (757) 721 – 0558
Clarke Farm: 3833 Bruce Road, Chesapeake, VA 23321. Phone: (757) 484 – 6000
Great Bridge Pumpkin Farm: 900 North Battlefield Boulevard, Chesapeake, VA 23320. Phone: (757) 971 – 3413
Greenbrier Farms: 225 Sign Pine Road, Chesapeake, VA. Phone: (757) 421 – 2141
Hickory Ridge Farm: 2928 South Battlefield Boulevard, Chesapeake, VA 23322. Phone: (757) 560 – 6763
Once you return from any of these farms, make Grandma’s Pumpkin Roll to share with family and friends. It serves 10.
¾ cup all-purpose flour 1 cup white sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
1 cup pumpkin puree 3 eggs
1 teaspoon lemon juice 2 Tablespoons confectioner’s sugar
1 (8 oz pkg) cream cheese, softened ¼ cup butter
1 teaspoon vanilla extract 1 cup confectioner’s sugar
- Preheat oven to 375ᵒ F (190ᵒ C). Grease and flour a 9 x 13 inch jelly roll pan or cookie sheet.
- In a large bowl, mix together flour, sugar, baking soda and pumpkin pie spice. Stir in pumpkin puree, eggs and lemon juice. Pour mixture into prepared pan. Spread the mixture evenly.
- Bake at 375ᵒ F (190ᵒ C) for 15 minutes.
- Lay a damp linen towel on the counter, sprinkle it with confectioner’s sugar and turn the cake onto the towel. Carefully roll the towel up (lengthwise) with the cake in it. Place the cake in towel on a cooling rack and let it cool for 20 minutes.
- Make the icing: In a medium bowl, blend cream cheese, butter, vanilla and sugar with a wooden spoon or electric mixer.
- When the cake has cooled 20 minutes, unroll it and spread icing onto it. Immediately reroll (without the towel this time) and wrap it with plastic wrap. Keep the cake refrigerated or freeze it for up to 2 weeks in aluminum foil. Cut the cake in slices just before serving.