While cleaning my home office today, I made an amazing discovery – my beloved grandmother’s collection of recipes which I believed had been forever lost soon after her death. Many wonderful memories of walking across the field to my grandmother’s home flooded my mind as I sorted through the box.
Because my blueberry bushes are still producing nicely, I selected her recipe for golden yellow cake with blueberry topping as the first of her recipes I would share. I hope you enjoy it as much as my family used to.
· 3 ½ cups sifted cake flour
· 1 ½ teaspoons double acting baking powder
· ⅛ teaspoon salt
· 1 cup butter or margarine
· 2 cups granulated sugar
· 6 egg yolks
· 1 cup milk
· 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. On waxed paper, sift together flour, baking powder and salt.
3. Grease, then flour, 3 quart fluted ring mold or use 10 inch tube pan.
4. In large bowl, with mixer at high speed, mix butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
5. Beat egg yolks and vanilla, adding them gradually while beating until very light and fluffy.
6. At low speed until smooth, flour mixture in fourths and milk in thirds.
7. Turn batter into prepared mold, bake 1 hour or until cake tester, inserted in center, comes out clean.
8. Cool in cake pan 15 minutes.
9. Loosen edges with spatula and remove from pan to rack to finish cooling.
10. To serve, fill center with peach ice cream and drizzle with blueberry topping.
Ingredients for Blueberry Topping:
· 1 pint fresh blueberries
· ¼ cup sugar
· 2 tablespoons cornstarch
· 3 tablespoons lemon juice
· 1 teaspoon grated lemon rind
· 1½ cups water
Directions for Blueberry Topping:
1. Combine sugar, cornstarch, lemon juice, lemon rind, water and ½ cup mashed blueberries in small sauce pan.
2. Cook until thickened and clear.
3. Remove from stove and add remaining blueberries.