You have become an empty-nester; your spouse cannot stomach leftovers; and you cannot afford to eat out on a regular basis. Is there a solution?
The best solution would likely be to discover delicious recipes just for the two of you that are quick and easy to make. Create a spot in your recipe box just for this series of recipes, Recipes for empty nesters, which will follow. The first one is for chicken Portobello pot pie.
- 1 ½ cups flour
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ cup butter
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 cups vegetables (like shredded carrots, peas, and/or sliced mushrooms)
- 1 Tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 cups diced cooked chicken
- 1 (18 ounce) can Portobello cooking sauce or creamy mushroom sauce
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme
- In bowl, combine flour and baking powder. With pastry blender or 2 knives, cut in butter spread until it’s the size of peas. With fork, stir in 3 Tablespoons ice water, adding additional if needed to hold together. Divide dough in half; shape into 2 disks. Wrap: chill for 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, in skillet over medium heat, cook onion, garlic and vegetables in oil 3 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in last 3 igredients.
- Preheat oven to 400ᵒF. Grease 4-cup casserole dish. On floured surface, roll dough disks to fit casserole; arrange in 1 disk. Spoon chicken filling into crust. Top with second dough disk; trim and crimp edges to seal. Cut 4 slits in center. Bake 45 minutes or until golden brown. (Serves 2)